Replaceing door hinges

I am replacing the door hinges on left side door on my TR6. 

The door is off and the new hinges are painted bodycolour.

Can anybody tell me how the mounting will be most easy.

Put the new hinges first to the body or first to the door?

Cheers

Tage

Put the hinges on the door first and get another person to help you hold it while you mount the door.   mount the top hinge first with just one bolt and then get a bolt in the lower hinge.  After that close the door to check gaps are ok before fixing the other bolts.  And put some padding on sill so you don't scratch the paint. 

hoges. 

Edited by Paul Hogan

I have used an hydraulic jack in the middle of the door (with some clothes/rags on the “table” , then you can easily and very controlled install the door with hinges to the car.

Waldi

I've done it both ways and I'm not sure there is a big difference.  I also use the padded floor jack to support the door.  The original hardware has sort of a pilot nose that makes starting the thread a little easier than typical replacement bolts.

Ed

I am with Waldi on this one. I have a nice rubber foam pad that I put on the hydraulic jack and jack it up to nearly the required height, then place the door  edge on and a little more jacking till I can locate the bolts. It is much better if you have someone to help you but I do not have that luxury.

Good luck and take your time.

Regards Harry

1 hour ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

On a similar note, I have to replace my door check straps.  One side still has the rivets but it looks very difficult to drill them out due to access.  Any tips?

Rich

If your only replacing the check straps then they just come out from behind when you remove the kick panels and disconnect the clevis from the door end. If you have to replace the dog bone shaped piece that`s riveted to the "A" post then yes they are awkward to remove and best done with the door off. You also need to Dremel a little bit of the surrounding face to get a new rivet in as the factory assembled them before fitting into the "A" post

Stuart.

29 minutes ago, stuart said:

If your only replacing the check straps then they just come out from behind when you remove the kick panels and disconnect the clevis from the door end. If you have to replace the dog bone shaped piece that`s riveted to the "A" post then yes they are awkward to remove and best done with the door off. You also need to Dremel a little bit of the surrounding face to get a new rivet in as the factory assembled them before fitting into the "A" post

Stuart.

Ok, so it seems its door off, makes sense.  Thanks Stuart.

28 minutes ago, ed_h said:

An alternative to the rivets.  Lock nuts on the backside.

Ed

DSC05086a.JPG.jpg

Example of what I was mentioning about having to Dremmel out a little of the panel to get to one of the fixings.

Stuart.