Hi all what's the best way to check if my water pump is working properly, my symptoms are when driving the temp is normal but when standing still the temp goes up rather fast ,the electric fan kicks in which is placed on the engine side working as a sucker, I've done a head gasket test which was fine ,no water loss , oil is clean., no risidue inside the rocker box/cap.

i am running treble webers which are running great but the under bonnet temperature is hot .

regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

doesn't sound bad. The temp will rise when stationary

How is the fan controlled. If through a thermostat switch in the down pipe then is it set high enough.

What setting is the thermostat in the thermo housing on the cylinder head.

Roger

When the fan comes on does it control the temperature or does the temp continue to rise? If it controls it then that is normal.

Graeme

Ok , I have a thermo switch in the rads bottom tank, the fan is drawing air through the rad from the outside, I have taken the thermostat out, the fan lowers the temp for a while but if I was stuck on the motorway it would go into the red.

thanks again

Nick

The waterchannels in my cilinderhead, to which te water pump is  bolted were plugged to approx 1/2 of their original crossectional area. Same for the thermostat house. The result of almost 5 decades of filling with not-distilled water. I would also start with a good cooling system cleaning.

Waldi

Hi Nick,

then I would disconnect the thermo switch, and put the fan on a manual switch, you switch the fan on earlier in the cycle, and see if it then keeps the guage cooler, if yes, you need to modify its location, perhaps in a top hose?

Personally I have both manual and auto, means that say when I am climbing,  or approaching standing traffic, I can pop the fan on to keep the engine cool, far better than letting the engine get hot, and expecting the fan to pull the temperature back down.

John.

20 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Surely you need the thermo swith in the top tank? or near the top if its a crossflow rad.

being in the bottom means its only sensing the water thats been cooled by the rad?

John.

I would have thought it better to have the switch in the bottom hose, pipe or tank??? That way while the car is moving the radiator has a chance to cool the coolant without unnecessary use of the fan.

I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.

Richard.

To answer the initial question  to check the water pump. With engine up to temperature if heater

is blowing hot air pump is o.k., warm or cool air pump not supplying adequate circulation, always

assuming heater valve in hot position.

Harvey S. Maitland