I have the opportunity to buy 4 steel wheels for my drum braked tr2 . The wheels are marked with the patent number 456866 & are riveted . I would like to know if these wheels are suitable and are they 4 or 41/2 .They are off a tr4a  Also what tyres would be good for normal road use ?

Keith

Usually the wheel size is stamped on the inside. I have an assortment of old Triumph wheels and very few of them are even close to true so beware. As for size,  I personally see no reason to use the weaker 4 inch wheels on the TR2. TR4A wheels  will be fine.

Tom

51 minutes ago, TomMull said:

Usually the wheel size is stamped on the inside. I have an assortment of old Triumph wheels and very few of them are even close to true so beware. As for size,  I personally see no reason to use the weaker 4 inch wheels on the TR2. TR4A wheels  will be fine.

Tom

+1 with Tom

Plus you need to consider getting the spare wheel in its storage compartment.  As we all, a 165 tyre on 4 1/2" rim will go in if deflated. A 155 tyre on a 4" rim will go in and come out again when inflated.  Are you using original 'flat'TR2 boot floor or the TR3A one with a raised centre section to allow the 1/2" wider wheel & tyre to be fitted? - If you have not done the boot floor repalcement yet.

155 or 165 x 80 profile tyres are suitable for use on 4 or 4 1/2" rim width respectively.  The other issue is the requirement/fitment of tubes in the tyres on steel rims.  Those with more info should step in here.

More importantly....Unless your car is ready to be driven do not buy any new tyres yet.

Peter W

Hello,

I discovered, by accident, that there are 2 different offsets on the “Standard” TR steel wheel, as fitted to the 2-4A.
Because I have fitted a TR4 back axle to my 3A I was careful to position the body as central as I could on the chassis. The extra width of the 4 back axle brings the tyres close to the rear wing edge. You can get away with it though if the clearance (or lack of it ) is the same both sides.

So I centralized the body tub onto the chassis by measuring the gap between the tyres and the rear wings.

A few months later, I discovered that the front of the car was not central on the chassis. (Starting handle hole did not line up with the crank.)

The end of the story was when I discovered that one of the rear steel wheels had an extra half an inch offset compared to the opposite side. It was almost impossible to see, but when I measured the two wheels the offset was quite clear.
Weird thing was that I had bought a set of 4 wheels from the same person many years ago. He had converted to wires, so no longer needed them.

I guess the change came sometime between 2 and 4A but don’t know exactly when.

If it concerns you (and I guess it should) take a tape measure and a piece of wood to go across the rim when you go to buy.

Charlie.

I believe 4½" wheels were used on the TR5, not on the 2,3,4 or 4a

The very early TR2 wheels were found to be weak, but they were soon improved. I think all 4" wheels were riveted.

waiting to be contradicted !

Bob.