Another at Auction

Strange mehere not to see any photos of the interior and under the bonnet, no surrey top plus expect to pay £5,760 on top for auction fees if it reaches the top estimate.

Looks good though,

Edited by MikeThomas
cc

Scroll down for under bonnet and interior pics ^_^.

Suspension camber is way off; very negative in front and positive in rear - recipe for loss of control in curves!

Price estimate seems reasonable.

As it happens, there are some really nice '250s on the market in the U.S. right now, like this one: https://www.triumphexp.com/registry/CD2366L

Tom

2 hours ago, Tom Fremont said:

Suspension camber is way off; very negative in front and positive in rear - recipe for loss of control in curves!

Price estimate seems reasonable.

As it happens, there are some really nice '250s on the market in the U.S. right now, like this one: https://www.triumphexp.com/registry/CD2366L

Tom

Hello Tom, I bought a 250 from this Scott Shepherd, it had a Surrey top but he photographed it from inside the car I didn't get to see the top of the Surrey roof, due to very crafty photography

This is what I received 

he blokes a T of the first order, I would believeP1070007.thumb.JPG.9d94333f0c49aa15258d7002d4a40e7c.JPGP1070008.thumb.JPG.54b092b7550f5bb8a805eab98eb91b4f.JPG Donald Trump before this guy.

I see the camber issue clearly. 

But the estimate - really?

That auction charge you pay

They surely do make hay

The Yank's looks quite pipping

How's the cost for shipping?

Please, check out for me

The blue 4A at BSC

It's got a lovely Surrey top

The one for which I want to shop

I'd be ever grateful Waldi

from

big Bren who's tall and baldi

Brendan

Dear Brendan, yes we can!

Our length we do not share,

but we have the same amount of hair.

I’m glad to have a look at the TR4,

as long as no more,

than 2hrs drive from my door.

I live overseas, in that large country east if you, where we fight the water, as if we had nothing better to do.

Greetibgs,

Not so big Waldi

Ps: which TR4 are you referring to?

Dah Waldi!

I did not see - you're from Les Pays - Bas

Of course it is much too far.

Once was I with Dutch d..e jokes ridden

But now such humour is forbidden.

So straight to the point I'll strive

About the car I want to drive

just view the site - to help me

It's at the dealer - B.S.C

So,  please Google :Bicester Sports and Classic Cars

Let know what impression you have( Of the car and price)  just from the description and pictures as -you did for the auction car. Dark  blue TR4A with a Surrey top.

( Holland? A large country?)

Comments from other members on this car also much appreciated.

Too Tall Brendan

2 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Hello Tom, I bought a 250 from this Scott Shepherd, it had a Surrey top but he photographed it from inside the car I didn't get to see the top of the Surrey roof, due to very crafty photography

This is what I received 

he blokes a T of the first order, I would believeP1070007.thumb.JPG.9d94333f0c49aa15258d7002d4a40e7c.JPGP1070008.thumb.JPG.54b092b7550f5bb8a805eab98eb91b4f.JPG Donald Trump before this guy.

Pretty shocking! Worse than the " NOS " lid I bought from a similar chap in the UK via ebay which upon inspection was missing the upper return on the front lip.

What goes around comes around, they say, and we have to leave it at that. Suffice it to say I wouldn't want his car were I in the market for one, knowing this - thanks.

Cheers,

Tom

3 hours ago, Tom Fremont said:

Pretty shocking! Worse than the " NOS " lid I bought from a similar chap in the UK via ebay which upon inspection was missing the upper return on the front lip.

What goes around comes around, they say, and we have to leave it at that. Suffice it to say I wouldn't want his car were I in the market for one, knowing this - thanks.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom,

I am not a bad guy.  Please see attached the actual email thread showing my communication with Peter. 

Please help me out, nobody likes to have to defend ourselves.

Scott

Rebuttal TR Forum's.docx

3 hours ago, EXTR6 said:

Indeed; what goes around.... We are just never there to the see SOBS get their comeuppance! 

Did you take any action? I mentioned this Scott bloke on another thread this evening. 

Brendan

H Brendan,

As I told Tom, I am not a bad guy.  I would like to respectfully ask that you resend your comments on any other treads you mentioned here.  I have found all of the communication with Peter and after apologizing to me I am at a loss as to why he would try to trash me at this time.  I have been a Triumph guy for the past 35 years and have helped my friends with parts and cars as a hobby.  I value my reputation and need your help to stop this. 

Scott

Rebuttal TR Forum's.docx

5 hours ago, scottstr250 said:

H Brendan,

As I told Tom, I am not a bad guy.  I would like to respectfully ask that you resend your comments on any other treads you mentioned here.  I have found all of the communication with Peter and after apologizing to me I am at a loss as to why he would try to trash me at this time.  I have been a Triumph guy for the past 35 years and have helped my friends with parts and cars as a hobby.  I value my reputation and need your help to stop this. 

Scott

Rebuttal TR Forum's.docx

Hi Scott, you have inspired a short essay (or overly long response). 

This, here below, is my post cut and pasted from the "other thread" referred to above, namely "Beautiful TR250 " Is that what you meant? 

Quote: There is a comment about a car purchase from Scott in the thread "Another Auction" 

The only offence I see in this post is one of English Grammar i.e. "purchase" should read "purchased". Actually, just a typo.

However, if my reaction to Peter's experience is inappropriate, then I am sorry (though not as sorry as I am for how Peter must have felt when he unwrapped his Surrey).  

But you see, I have returned to the Register after many wilderness years, bereft of a TR. I am now searching for the right car. The experience, thus far, has reawakened a mild latent paranoia which now attends the purchasing process of a classic car or anything "Classic" for that matter.

Selling my last TR was easy: I was offered bugger all, accepted it and got on with my life.  Adopting another one is quite a different investment vehicle (pun intended). The purchase of my last one in the seventies was relatively easy; car price guides were respected authorities. The one I fell for was above average condition with low mileage, so I paid an extra £150 to bring the cost to £1,750 about £11,000 in today's money for a four year old beauty.  

In the sixties, life was less complicate; I worked two job's in addition to my day job and bought a spanking new MGB. New because nobody wanted a "clapped out sportscar". Those were the days when you could drive like a hooligan and keep your license - hence clapped out cars. I of course was so deeply in love with my B that I cherished her. Eventually, I had to sell this truly immaculate and by then, six month old car****. I was offered bugger all, accepted it and flew back to England (from Melbourne) where my father had died suddenly, a couple go days before. I returned two years later and bought another B.

Now days, I am finding it hard to rationalise statements from sellers like: "Nut and bolt restoration in the late nineties..."  It often turns out to have been somewhat earlier, say the "mid-nineties".  So, even if the restoration produced a vehicle better than the new car, it is now 23 years old!  The ads make them sound as though they were restored yesterday.

When pointing out some, less than minor, in my humble opinion, defects on a £31,000 (oh alright; £30,995) car, I was told:  "What do you want? It's a 36 year old car! Doh!  Reduce the hyperbole of your ads and sales patter!  My wife found the most egregious defect. Me? I was falling in love and so my glasses changed colour.

Now, classic car reviewers please note :Why is there such a gulf between what you think I will have to pay and the reality of what I must pay?  I must say that in all other respects, your reviews are informative and entertaining.

"Stop winging and stick to your BMX3 or buy a Miata", some members may, with good reason, cry........".  Sorry!  No!  I do want one again, but like Rip Van Winkle waking from a two decade sleep, I am still adjusting to the new reality of 2018. Had I actually been asleep for 20 years, I guess there would be a lot more to shock that the price of classic cars. Don't get me started.......

All of which has gone far beyond your request Scott, (if you are still reading - you will be the only one who is).  I have become grumpy in this cathartic process but I will be fine after walking Lottie... however, I still think the King is naked (not Elvis)!  And I don't quite get why the only classics available today seem to be male ....." He......."  What about ships?   Has God flipped yet? 

I am a can of worms - leave my lid (hardtop) alone.

Anyone looking for an ad writer :-)?

Scott has answered this in full, with the ball now back in Pete's court if he has anything to add.

The car Scott has for sale is a yeoman's job with few betters, if any ( pictures bearing out in the flesh ). If it were a TR5 in the same condition it would easily fetch double the money. For those who would drive one as their first priority, such '250s make for a bargain, as fitment of CP cam, head and triple DCOEs will erase the difference in all but badging between the two - for a song relative to the spread in values.

Cheers,

Tom

Brendan,

I looked at the add.

The light blue TR4A you saw advertised looks very nice, but pictures are never a guarantee the car is what it looks like;  the issue that was brought up above demontrates this (no fingerpointing intented here to anyone). It should be seen and inspected by a knowledgeable person, from the pictures in the add you cannot see if this was a cosmetic restauration or a very thorough rebuild, there are no pics of chassis and underside, for example. I’m not saying is is a bad car (I have no idea) just that it requires further assessment if you are interested.

I note Strombergs  and non original seats, for me both would not be an issue, for others it is.

it is always good to go and see a car in person with a 2nd knowledgeble person, I bought my TR6 with purple glasses on, alone, and it appeared much more work than I anticipated. Certainly not my first car, and a common pitfall. I got over that and enjoy every hr I spend on restauring it.

Regards,

Waldi

On 11/7/2018 at 4:39 PM, Tom Fremont said:

Tom

Thanks Tom, unfortunate that the scroll down 'V' on the photos is also white, lost on the white car, completely missed it.

Would have given you a 'Like' but that function button still doesn't show for me.

Best wishes,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2018 at 2:10 PM, Tom Fremont said:

Scott has answered this in full, with the ball now back in Pete's court if he has anything to add.

The car Scott has for sale is a yeoman's job with few betters, if any ( pictures bearing out in the flesh ). If it were a TR5 in the same condition it would easily fetch double the money. For those who would drive one as their first priority, such '250s make for a bargain, as fitment of CP cam, head and triple DCOEs will erase the difference in all but badging between the two - for a song relative to the spread in values.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello Tom, the only thing to add, is that I was had, hook line and sinker, I sent a mail to Mr Shepherd with a list of the many cars over many many years that I had never a problem with.

All the sellers were truthful honest people.

He is the only seller that I have ever had a problem with.

His reply was as expected when I asked for a refund, abusive.  I did reply in the same vane.

On 11/8/2018 at 2:22 AM, scottstr250 said:

H Brendan,

Scott

Rebuttal TR Forum's.docx

Scott, I trashed you when the car arrived, then I realised that you were a deceiver,  until the cars arrival I thought I had made a mistake and apologised to you.

then the truth came out, you passed the car off for an important item that you knew was missing, hiding behind "I didn't know" won't wash with the friends I have here. especially as you are a TR expert.

• 2 weeks later...

Sold a few minutes ago.

The estimate was (£): 35,000 - 40,000 

According to their website sold for £32,000, plus the buyer’s premium of 12% £3,848 plus VAT @ 20% £768.

Buyer will pay £36,616.

Looks good sum to pay for a car restored 10 years ago and with Heritage cert, no Surrey top though.

B)

Edited by MikeThomas

Always hard to tell with Photo's but it looks a very nice example indeed?

I've seen them go for a lot more and the good ones don't stick around for sale long either.

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn