Andy Wiltshire Fuel Tank

I was lucky enough to buy one of Andy's excellent replacement aluminium fuel tanks for my TR6 when he was still making them. However, I'm using 195/65 R15 tyres, with a squeeze the spare will just jam in under the tank. When driving, the subsequent squeaking of rubber against the tank is more than a bit irritating.

Has anyone else with one of Andy's tanks and similar sized tyres found the same trouble and hence a solution?

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

this was discussed in detail some time back.

Using a narrow tyre (165 x15) appears to be illegal, unlike modern cars

The deflated tyre is one way but could be awkward on a wet dark night up a mountain.

Aerosol puncture repair + the AARAC card.

How about removing the tank and cutting a relief into the base where the tyre coincides.  Weld a new shaped plate in place or use copious amounts of JBweld.

Roger

Thanks Gents for the replies...…...

Marco, the tank bolts onto the standard captive nuts, I think it's identical to the TR4???

Roger, any mutilation to the body is I'm afraid out of the question. I'll search the archive for the topic on a smaller tyre, I seem to remember some discussion on a "spacesaver" but never read it.

George, a mate of mine with a TR5 had already suggested deflating the tyre and carrying a pump, and so I reckon that's the way to go.

Richard.

Hi Richard 

I have the same issue only with a Moss steel tank, the outcome of a post I placed on here at the time

was that a smaller space saving tyre would be illegal, modifying the tank was a possibility .

However in the end I opted to go with the deflated tyre option and carry a 12V air pump.

On testing it takes about 5min to pump up the spare, some pumps my be even quicker so by

the time the flat is off the car the spare is ready. 

This winter I plan to fit a power outlet to the boot to make life easier.

I would also advocate periodic inflation of the spare as a precaution.

Cheers

Brian

Hi Richard,

if you use no rubber between the petrol tank and car body the pertol

tank still does what he has to do: make the rear end of the car body stiff and not moving more than with a original steel tank.

Carry petrol in there is another think of secondary matter (for the car) 

Ciao Marco 

1 hour ago, Richard71 said:

Thanks Gents for the replies...…...

Marco, the tank bolts onto the standard captive nuts, I think it's identical to the TR4???

Roger, any mutilation to the body is I'm afraid out of the question. I'll search the archive for the topic on a smaller tyre, I seem to remember some discussion on a "spacesaver" but never read it.

George, a mate of mine with a TR5 had already suggested deflating the tyre and carrying a pump, and so I reckon that's the way to go.

Richard.

Hi Richard, RogerH 's suggestion is to modify the tank not the body panel .

Regards

Guys

This very topic was covered in a post last year started by Rob Price , details below. 

Alicool, the manufacturers, can make these tanks to order now.

Richard - I have a brand new unused one going spare - it's currently advertised in Classifieds on here -  PM me if you are interested.

Cheers

Rich