Frustration beyond belief!!!

Hi Roger,

It has been a while,  as I have not joined in any conversations. In fact I wanted to update my contact details plus post about my 3a when this occurred.

I have messaged my problem to the forum administrator so hopefully can get this all sorted out as I do not want to be red7!!!

11 hours ago, red7 said:

Because I have always been red6 which I happen to like and everyone knows me as Tom. Including all at the N London group.

You don't need to change your login name - you can simply add a signature with your real identity as many of us do.  Why hide behind a login name?

Hi Tom,

I am red6................. I am red6................... I am red6 and so is my wife! Sparticus and Monty Python rolled into the TRR forum, whatever next?

As Phil said, I am red6 and have been since I joined the forum in February 2009. It was an unused forum account name. It was my CB radio handle since 1980, when I bought the car and started touring. CB radio - so 1970's but still amazingly useful. Still got them and use them.

It would be so much better if we all used our real names, rather that this antiquated handle nonsense, perhaps one day. Might start another account but I would only confuse myself, let alone others.

Mick Forey

Hi Mick,

I thought I had been usurped but as Roger pointed out red6 is not Red 6!!!! This is the problem when your computed stores your ID and PW and then the hard disc poops out and you have to enter it manually....and forget what it was, and cant find the piece of paper it was written on 16 years later.

I chose Red 6 because my TR6 was Red, (as was almost every TR I have owned).

The problem I have with using my real name on anything connected to a public forum on the internet is that it is so easy just to type that name into google and within seconds you can find all sorts of stuff unless it is a false name or just a handle.

Anyway I look forward to becoming Red 6 again and will keep my name a secret.

Regareds,

Tom...............................DOH!!!!!!!

I guess you will be voting against this resolution then?

9.9 The adoption of new Forum Rules for all users and members.

Proposed by: Adrian Lawton Seconded by: Derek Pywell

It is my belief that the current rules for users on the TR Register Forum are not fit for purpose. They do not offer detailed enough guidance for what is expected of users, do not assist the moderators sufficiently and crucially, are not effective at protecting the TR Register and its Forum from abuse and misuse.

Therefore, what is needed is a more explicit set of rules that are published on the Forum, constantly updated and every user made to agree to abide by them whilst using the Forum. I would like to see these rules ratified by the wider membership of the club, not just the board of Directors or Forum regulars alone and so propose them for adoption at the Annual General Meeting by means of a Resolution.

I therefore propose the adoption, implementation and enforcement of the attached Forum Rules . The rules have been drafted following lengthy research into what other car clubs have in place, such as Porsche Club GB and the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club and have been adapted for use by the TR Register.

DIRECTORS RECOMMEND MEMBERS TO VOTE FOR

This measure is much needed with urgency.

3.0 Forum Profiles & User Names
3.1 Club Members should include their Club Membership Number within their profile signature.
This allows a route of direct contact for Club Officials in event of query or dispute and allows the
club to verify membership to ensure user accounts have the appropriate access levels. Nonmembers
and Club Members, who cannot be contacted directly by the Club, may be removed
from the Forum.
3.2 Proper names and avatars are preferred as, in our opinion, they promote courteous behaviour
and aid the moderators in spotting spam accounts.
3.3 User Names which promote a product, service (including web sites & clubs), Company or are
of any perceived commercial gain are not allowed.
3.4 User names or signatures deemed by the moderators or club officials as offensive will be
requested to be changed. If the request is ignored then the moderators or admin reserve the right
to delete the user account.
3.5 Multiple Forum registrations for one individual are not allowed.

Now that is interesting.

Currently all my contact details are available to the moderator and "The Management" and are all up to date including my email, phone number and probably my address as I am a nominated concours judge for the register.

What your posting tells me is that for some registered here, not all of this info is required to post, which is not a good idea if the reason for a change is sound. Perhaps a better way would be to modify the registration procedure?

Of key importance is the view that a public forum on the internet is some how a safe and cosy environment because like minded enthusiasts converse, exchange views and help one another.

It is not a safe place at all. Everything we post is data mined, and stored by 3rd parties. Using a handle (I did not know this was the term until Mick mentioned it) devalues the information collected because the handle does not exist as an individual whereas a name adds value.

There is also the question of security of data stored here. If the customer data held by BA, and several large banks can be hacked then I suggest so can smaller organisations. Thus the separation of name and handle would work to reduce and consequences of a breach. Rather like separating your CC number and the last 3 security digits when buying stuff online.

And, this my final observation, having a picture and a name is unwise, (except in the case of RogerH that is ;-).

So just because the JDC and PCGB do it, it is not reason enough to adopt it given the inherent issue with the internet. Lets hope it has been thought out properly and is not a whim and that in voting the facts are properly presented and clearly understood by all prior to the vote.

1 hour ago, red7 said:

Now that is interesting.

Currently all my contact details are available to the moderator and "The Management" and are all up to date including my email, phone number and probably my address as I am a nominated concours judge for the register.

I'm a moderator and i don't have those details of yours...

Send a pm to Wayne or email him. It should then be sorted but please remember most have 'day' jobs and this week is pretty busy getting ready for the NEC

Tom