I have seen the future - and it may work.

At the Advanced Engineering show, NEC last week, a compnay was showing their ability to build  by "Additive Manufacturing" - 3D printing - moulds for difficult to make parts.

On display they had an engine block for a V12 Horsch, and the mould they could make another from.    Horsch were in luxury cars up to WW2 in Germany ,and I was told that the model was a now unique but damaged engine.     That was scanned into a CAD model, which was used to build the mould, from which they took a new casting.   

IMG_20181101_135516.thumb.jpg.fa1cdeb0edc2b5a22cec97f8e6131c86.jpg 

Triumph is nowhere near that stage, although I think engines for rebuild are getting more expensive, but this is where we might get one day.

Poor pics from my phone, but I hope that show what I saw.

John

IMG_20181101_135521.jpg

PS, It must have come from this car: 

Edited by john.r.davies

Sorry John, 

the name is "HORCH" which means (translated) "listen" - although it is the name of the founder  August Horch. 

Funny thing: After August Horch left his company in 1909 (due to difference with co-owners) he founded  "Audi" - which means "listen" also, this time in latin. Both companies had to merge in 1931, becoming two of the four rings of the "Auto-Union".

Johannes

Here's a chap making a Bugatti engine: https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/53938-bugatti-t5759-engine-project/&

I saw a picture of a 3D-printed pattern for a straight-eight Duesenberg cylinder head, which was taller than the guy who made it! I can't find it now though.

Pete

Edited by stillp

I remember an artikel at a german classic car magazin some months ago:

for a number of 2-5 or more cast iron engine blocks or cylinder heads it is cheaper to print the sand cores to make real cast iron items.

That would be the way for new TR cylinder heads and exhaust manifolds.

16 hours ago, ts27952 said:

the name is "HORCH" which means (translated) "listen" - although it is the name of the founder  August Horch. 

Funny thing: After August Horch left his company in 1909 (due to difference with co-owners) he founded  "Audi" - which means "listen" also, this time in latin. Both companies had to merge in 1931, becoming two of the four rings of the "Auto-Union".

Johannes

Thanks Johannes, I wanted to give you a like but cannot as this 'like' button does not display according to what internet browser you are using, so here it is.......

The SDF have already reverse engineered the 4 pot crank, and using 3d laser measuring, employed cad programmes to produce the finished article, all covered in a previous edition of TR Action.

The prototypes cranks are in MVC 575 and Roger Hogarth's TR4A, and three pre production cranks have now been received and are at the final machining and quality checking stages. It was hoped to have one available on display at the AGM but the workload at the machine shop is restricting progress.

The scanning company used for the crank is able to produce 3d printed items direct from scans enabling patterns to be manufactured, its here the commercial dimensions come into play.

Ian

The really clever additive manufacturing 'prints' directly in metal - actually laser sintering - with no need for the casting pattern stage and with minimal machining needed afterwards. Using that technique it is possible to make items with internal features which would be impossible to produce by other means. The limitation is the size of the sintering bed and of course the fearsome cost of the machines.

https://www.metal-am.com/introduction-to-metal-additive-manufacturing-and-3d-printing/

2 hours ago, Lebro said:

I thought Roger was testing a tractor crank ??

Bob.

Hi Bob

Roger indeed purchased a Ferguson tractor crank for the SDF, confirming that it was basically the same casting as a TR crank, but different oil management (no cross drilling and different rear oil seal arrangements). Tractors were not designed for +2000 revs, and worked on a continuous oil loss and replacement basis rather than oil changes....... MOSS have taken on the project and sourced the supply of blank cranks and are managing the machining processes.

After confirming the blank castings were the same materials and basic design, in order to gather dimensional data, rather than getting verniers and calipers out, an original crank was laser scanned and cnc machining files created (SDF funded). Two prototypes were created from blank castings and machined in the UK to TR spec, now in use as previous post details, and three pre-production cranks are now in the system. It has taken some time to get this far, the technical issues are completely resolved and we are now evaluating various options to optimise the costs (basically how much of, and where, the machining is done).

Regards

Ian

crank.jpg

• 2 weeks later...