About rear axle drive flange

Hello guys, I'm puzzled : what's the difference between a rear axle with solid spacer pinion drive flange (#138105) and the same part for a collapsible spacer pinion  (#160275) ?

I've some of the solid spacer models in stock, but none of the second version, so can't compare, unfortunatly.

Cheers !

Hi Stan, 

Yes please, it could help !

Eventually, several picture could be of some help too : I don't even know if they are visually different

Hi Roger, 

You're right, well spotted, there is only one reference available from Moss : I understand (might be wrong !) that later flange can be retrofitted to early non collapsible spacer pignon, but early flanges can't be used on later model ?

It seems that there is a chamfer in the later flange https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-160275

But a "smaller" one in early flange ? https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-138105

Okay, I know one can't rely on a picture on the Net…. :rolleyes:

Many thanks Stan : could you please mesure the lengh of the part who rotate in the oil seal (sorry, my English is not fantastic, but it's called "portée de joint" in French) ?

Your picture confirm that it has a countersink angle.

Unfortunatly, I can't check  my "shimed" flanges before Tuesday, as they are all in a workshop 30mn drive from here.

The TRF catalog shows 2 plates (or pages) for the early (solid spacer) and later collaspsible spacer, but only 1 part #(160275) for the flange. 

I just measured the length of a shimmed flange seal area, it is .910". The area that the shim contacts is .225"

Berry

Thanks Berry, we now have to find the same length for a "late" flange, Stan could be able to help.

Edited by Chris59

Thanks Stan, so the difference is not here :unsure:

I bet the difference is in the chamfered area.

Roger, I'm not talking about the "outside" chamfer, but the one in the flange.

To be fair, as I can't check if there is one in my "shimed" flanges, as explained earlier, I don't know if they are chamfered (does this word exist ??) or not.

Hi Chris,

This a flange from a solid spacer diff. (TR250)

TR250_003a-2048.thumb.jpg.96d492cefaea183a0983632fb6440596.jpg

This is from a collapsible spacer 1976 TR6.

TR6-005-2048.thumb.jpg.88e376460ca73189e2b89d26ef21f105.jpg

The collapsible one looks slightly longer in the seal area but I am sorry I don't have any measurements.

Cheers

Graeme

Roger, Roger !  :lol:

Hello Graeme, many thanks for the pictures, who show that both flanges seems to have the same chamfer, in and out.

According to Berry and Stan measurements, the lenght is the same, at .910" vs .911", so no sensible difference ?

I'll go back to this workshop tomorrow,  and will use a "shimmed" flange on a collapsible spacer diff to see the result.

Cheers !

(#138105) and the same part for a collapsible spacer pinion  (#160275)

From a parts sales point of view I suspect 138105 was supersceded by 160275 at the factory.  I would not have done that part number rationalisation when writing the catalogue otherwise.   Part number 160275 is also used in the Moss TR4A IRS axle section.  If it is not a proper replacement I think Moss would have had the flanges thrown back at them by now.

Thinking about the flange.  The diff is still in the same place, the diff case did not change, the propshaft did not change, so we may guess the length of the item is constant.

The engineering change may be to do with the known swap from split pinned slotted nut (solid spacer) to nyloc nut (collapsible spacer) bearing adjustment on the pinion.  Perhaps with a resultant flange nut recess depth or diameter modification.  Or the diameter internally was modified with a stepped recess to accept and align the seldom seen UKC725 shield that is fitted into the flange to cover and seal the nut from oil leakage (lead linger now not being used)  The other change was the washer beneath the pinion flange nut - I do dot have samples of that to check.

In my years of building diffs I have thought there were only ever square or round drive flanges for TR2-6.  Round on IRS axles & square on solid axles.

Peter W