One of the screws that connect the handle of the roof locking mechanism to the "lock" has rattled free and is now lost (1973 TR6)

According to Rimmers its a metric screw and I could order one from them but given it will cost several times more for postage than the price of the screw itself, and will take 3 days to get to me, I thought I might just go buy one locally. However, I can't find anything to tell me what size it is.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

if you use the 4mm screw run it in gently.  As per Mike above I would have thought 8/32 or 8/40 would have been in keeping.

Wouild it be item #92  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/weather-equipment/hoods-hood-frames-fittings/hood-frame-fittings-tr5-6.html

this would be 8/32 (unc)

Roger

Edited by RogerH

To add to Rogers comment:

UNC is entirely different from metric threads, any size, it is much coarser, and  that's what the "C" stands for :).
Maybe you could compare the other one you still have installed with the new screw.

UNC will have more grip, especially in aluminium-alloys.

Waldi

According to the Moss website, the UNC screw was only used on very early TR5/250. The later cars and TR6 used the metric screw. 

I have a mid production TR250 and will check the screws today.

Cheers

Graeme

22 minutes ago, Percy TR6 said:

Tried M4 but no joy ☹️

However, further examination has shown the original screw/bolt has sheared inside the latch mechanism so will try the other side and see how that goes. 

The plot thickens, I had a look today and my TR250 has a 6/32 c/s screw. If this was later changed to a metric screw for the TR6, I would expect it to be 3mm

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

I’ve removed the screw from the other side and I would guess it is 3mm not 4mm if metric. However, as I have been unable to remove the sheared screw from the pin/lock I have ordered a replacement pin & 2 screws from Rimmers. 

Thanks for all the input. 

Steve

Final update... the screws which arrived from Rimmers are indeed M4, as is the new locking peg which they also supplied. 

However, the original locking peg is definately not M4 - Perhaps M3 if metric but more than likely UNC as previously suggested. 

Thanks again for all the thoughts and input along the way. 

Steve