Seat Locking Mechanism

I would be grateful for Member’s advice please. I have collected an’Advisory’ for a weak locking spring (621982) on the RH driver seat on my TR5. So far I’ve tried a number of well known suppliers and all are saying NCA and nothing secondhand either. So suggestions on cost effective workarounds or indeed a niche supplier would be much appreciated. The main locking bar and knob are also NCA... So even after investing much in maintaining a roadworthy classic ... It appears that other modest items can present unexpected difficulties. I don’t wish to change from the seats I have. Many thanks in advance. Very best, Bob. 

Interesting that they failed you on that as TR4/4a dont have that facility at all, early Minis the same.

Stuart.

The inspector was being very picky!

There are 2 springs on my TR6 seats which I have fitted into a 4A. One end of each spring hooks over the locking catch and the other end presses against the back frame of the seat. One solution might be to fit a piece of metal beneath the end that presses onto the seat frame thus increasing the spring tension.

Also look at the position of the catch plate on the seat slide. Mine adjusts because I made my own catch plates for 4A runners. It looks like on the 5 it is held in place by a bolt and washer. Is it possible to adjust this so the locking catch fits onto it more securely i.e. move the catch plate rearwards a bit. If the bit where the locking catch fits over is worn then turn the catch plate through 180 degrees and re-adjust it.

I wouldn't have thought that the springs were 'weak' - more a case of adjustment.

Good luck

Keith

• 4 weeks later...