Tacho cable routing

My tacho cable has started to make some noise when cold now, on first start up, R/H drive 1968 CP.

How should the cable be routed, should it run infront of the heater unit, engine side, or to the rear of the heater and then up to the tacho?

I will take the inner cable out and put some graphite grease on it and see what then happens.

John

Tacho cable runs back through the left hand side of the bulkhead above the gearbox and then up next to the heater and round to the tacho.

Cant upload you a picture as the forum software isnt playing this morning.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 5 weeks later...

Having now got around to investigating the noisy cable, it seems that the cable is free, and that doesn't seem to be the issue although it will get some graphite on its assembly.

Turning now to the tacho head, which way does the cable turn into the head?  It does seem a bit stiff so don't wont to turn it the wrong way.  It would seem I have to open up the tacho head and degrease somehow the axle spindle, I presume this is where the problem lies?  Any info on this would be much appreciated, will have to order some new o rings for reassembly, did find one source on ebay, again any recommendations of where to buy?

John

• 4 weeks later...

Having got the tacho to bits and cleaned up the input shaft, it seems to working ok now.

I just need a rubber grommit that shields the ignition light, can anybody recommend a supplier for one of those please, it must have run for a long time with the ignition light on and got very hot perhaps, the oil pressure one is fine.

It seems AES supply the seals and rings.

John