TR3 hardtop bracket finish ?

We are going to start work on the hardtop today. It is currently a bare rusty shell but over the last few years I have collected everything I need other than the headliner and the spring steel strip which are still tbd.

My question for today is regarding the brackets that secure the hardtop to the tub. Were they originally painted (black, body color ?), chromed or plated ?.

Stan

The rear brackets that bolt to the rear of the hardtop were black. The brackets that are bolted to the shell around the rear were also black. The saddle covers that go over the cappings were chromed along with the bolts. The brackets on the screen frame were chromed along with the domed bolts.

Stuart.

Thanks guys. We managed to get the screws out of the brackets with an impact driver without too much collateral damage. I have a couple more questions once I upload the pictures to show you. We are doing two TR3 hardtops at the same time, one that still has its original cantrails and mine with the repro gutters that we discussed here a couple of years ago.

Stan

10 hours ago, foster461 said:

The two TR3 hardtops that we are working on look pretty much the same but the one below has some extra holes in the sides. They dont seem related to the cantrails or the rubber seals. Any ideas what they may have been used for ?

20181030_120416-X3.jpg

Furflex?

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Furflex?

Stuart.

That is possible but dont the sidescreens close against the outside edge of the hardtop ?. I know there are at least two different seal styles but if this is not one of them then we may never know. If they have no obvious function I will fill them.

Stan

The sidescreens close against a rubber seal that originally was fitted between the cantrail stainless finishers and the hardtop and on later cars just fitted over the finisher but IIRC on early cars there was a furflex too. Im sure Graham Andrews found some original for his concours winning TR3.

Stuart.

On 10/30/2018 at 10:37 PM, foster461 said:

The two TR3 hardtops that we are working on look pretty much the same but the one below has some extra holes in the sides. They dont seem related to the cantrails or the rubber seals. Any ideas what they may have been used for ?

20181030_120416-X3.jpg

Hi

Possibly fixing for a map light or switched interior light for use in rallying?

Kind regards

Andrew