Stumbling symptom

I have reached a fairly happy medium with my TR2, taking it out for a good shakedown cruise at least every second weekend while I am sorting the Doretti.  But my issue is this:  When I start the car from cold after the two week wait (using the choke at first), it runs fairly smoothly while at a constant rpm as it warms up.  But during warm up, any blip of the throttle (with clutch engaged) causes a stumbling increase in rpm.  If I am driving it in this state, it stumbles as I accelerate.  But, once the car is fully warm, it then revs nicely and pulls strongly under load and feels as it should.  I did not think the warm up period would lack a smooth throttle response if the choke is used.  Here in Hawaii the temperature does not really go much below 60 degrees, so when sitting it does not ever get cold like a car does in winter climate.  Any ideas?

Dan

Yes, regardless of choke position.  I usually push the choke back in after a minute or two, and then wait for it to fully warm.  This warm up period is when the stumbling occurs.  If I start the car up the very next day after use, even after it has fully cooled overnight, the symptom is not there so it must be related to sitting for two weeks.  Just wondering what is going on so I can possibly avoid it or remedy it.

Dan 

Hi Dan

when did it last have a general engine tune as a lot of the basics could be ruled out by carrying out such?  It could be anything from dirt or rust residue getting to the carburettors, distributor cap, leads, points and gapping, , plugs, condenser etc.

Doing this first might rule out a lot of possible causes, presuming this hasn't already been done.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Letting an engine run to warm it up does the car no favours, it just washes oil off the inside of the bores.

Best to start the engine, then drive the car on the road using moderate throttle.  This will warm the engine more rapidly and so minimise use of the choke.

Ian Cornish

Carburettor dashpot oil too thick, drain it out and replace with thinner.

Engine cold thicker oil = greater resistance to vacuum, causes stumbling,  when the engine warms up the oil thins and the carb performance returns to normal.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Use of the choke is a bit of a lost art due to modern cars not having chokes at all, but it's dynamic not static, one position does not suit all conditions, starting from completely cold you may well need full choke, but this needs to be progressively decreased as the engine warms up, but may also need adjustment (increase or decrease) according to various load requirements as the car is driven and not left to warm up standing still, as Ian says, you're doing the engine no favours with it standing still.

Cheers, Rob

3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Engine cold thicker oil = greater resistance to vacuum, causes stumbling,  when the engine warms up the oil thins and the carb performance returns to normal.

Mick Richards

+1

5 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mick Richards

It's OK the next day though Mick, and he's in Hawaii so never gets very cold..

My guess would be either moisture on the ignition leads/distributor cap/coil top, or condensation somewhere in the fuel system, that takes a couple of weeks to settle to somewhere where it can cause a problem.

Pete

"....during warm up, any blip of the throttle (with clutch engaged) causes a stumbling increase in rpm"

Could this be caused by sticky weights in the distributor advance? Freeing up with use and when hot.

Easy to check when cold by removing distributor cap and rotating the arm and checking it springs back to rest nicely.

Alan

3 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

"....during warm up, any blip of the throttle (with clutch engaged) causes a stumbling increase in rpm"

Could this be caused by sticky weights in the distributor advance? Freeing up with use and when hot.

Easy to check when cold by removing distributor cap and rotating the arm and checking it springs back to rest nicely.

Alan

I doubt that Alan although worth a look..It would probably still rev freely but without a smooth advance.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Air leaks on inlet manifold gaskets which disappear as engine warms up and metal expands.

Try checking nut tightness before resealing/replacing gaskets.

Chris

Thanks much for all the input.  I do notice that after the two week storage period, if I take it home and start it up the next day it starts on the button and revs nicely right away, so it must have to do with sitting for a spell.  I make sure never to wait more than two weekends before I get down to the storage stall and go out for a spin, but I guess every week would be better.  I am well aware of the maxim that frequent usage is the best medicine for these machines ........  It would be nice if I could pinpoint just what is going on though.

Cheers

Dan

Just a thought: do you use the priming lever on the fuel pump to fill the carburettor float chambers prior to attempting to start the car?

If not, it will stutter into life on cylinders 1 & 2 then, as the rear float chamber fills, will pick up cylinders 3 & 4.

Ian Cornish