Underside Advice

Hi Guys

Its me again with another question. I have been out of the classic car scene for 10 years or more so new products are not something I know about which leads me to the question. The underside of the car as far as I can see as no under seal apart fron the Zinc dip and body colour paint that’s it. The chassis is painted black but there are steel fixings on show with nowt  on them 

FACF6A7E-5BAA-44D7-A107-54DA94FF6CB6.thumb.jpeg.109c3bddcac59080001aabfbdf5928a0.jpeg

So guys what’s the best stuff to use

I think I would use Waxoil, its clearish appearance wouldn't be such a mess as a black product.  There are lots of products, even just plain grease applied to the nuts and bolt threads would help a lot in preserving their zinc finish.

John

I choose a rust inhibiter liquid paint.

This is bright red on the floors & gloss black for the chassis box rails.

Applied 3-4 coats with a sponge brush.

I used a green rust inhibiter spray paint with an extension tube applicator to spray inside the rails.

It was a labor intensive project, took years to finish. First scrap, then wire brush, then paint, then paint again and again.

It was happy to crawl under, in the end.

I did the inside floors, the same method.

DSCF1166 (7).JPG

DSCF1153 (6).JPG

Edited by Sapphire72

Hi Pete

I think you may be right. The tub was Zinc dipped as was the Chassis which is a painted black finish. The touch of the underside which is in body colour feels like a roughage surface. I may well just need to waxoil the zinc heads and screws.  

I would still just bang a coat of clear waxoily right over everything underneath unless your doing concours.

Stuart.

I don’t mean to hi-Jack this thread. 

I don’t know what’s on my car. But was considering the Bilt Hamber range. 

Anybody got any experience of this  .

Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 Extreme Anti-Corrosion Wax - 750ml Aerosol - Cavity Wax https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162763920842

Bilt Hamber Dynax-UB Firm Film Anti-Corrosion Wax 750ml Aerosol - Cavity Body https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F181177249053

I've used both Waxoily and Bilt Hamber in the past and now prefer the Bilt Hamber as there is little residual fumes unlike waxoily which generally needs thinning down with white spirit and stinks the garage and inside of the care for weeks and give me a headache . Also there is no equipment to clean other than dropping the empties into the recycling bin and it seems just as good or better at keeping rust at bay. 

I'm liking Dinotrol.

They do a range of products from thin clear spray, brown spray, very thick clear(ish) waxes, as well as rubber and plastic type stone chip sprays and rust killer.

I bought from their website and got a discount (can't remember how much, about 15% I think) using a code found on the web.

For convenience (laziness) I bought in spray cans, but bulk cans are there too.

4 Years on, and holding up very well, but as Roger says, some (small amount) of muck (dust?) is picked up during driving.

On further inspection and a chat with a mate of mine who owns a body shop (any excuse to go for a drive)  it has been Zinc dipped all the underneath and wheel arches have been Stone chip coating and finished in single pack top coat. His advice is coat with clear Bilt Hamer or equal