TR7 DHC Window frame colour?

I have a 1981 silver TR7 convertible (V8 conversion) and want to tackle some rust on the passenger door window frame (strangely none at all on the driver's side). Does anyone know what paint code or description is the correct one ? It looks like a matt or perhaps satin black but would rather get it right as the car is (apart from the engine/gearbox!) largely as standard ( wheels changed since photo, and I suspect a blue hood was not original? Oh well maybe not so standard after all!).

Thanks!

IMG_8392.jpg

Probably satin black; I resprayed my windscreen trim panel (that long black one under the screen which the wipers go through) with rattle-can satin recently and it seems a very close match to the original.

DSCF5868.jpg.b06cc438247208ca217029195379d78b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I had mine gently blasted due to some rust at the bottom and then powder coated satin black.  That was 20 years ago and they still look new

• 3 weeks later...

That's something I've been meaning to ask; I've seen TR7s on the Net, being fully restored, that have the rear panel painted black. I take it none of them had this as standard?

Also the sills - yours look to be black in that profile photo, but mine are body colour, and again I've seen so many of each; why the difference in some cars?

Colin

Edited by UlsterTR7

Hello Colin,

The standard UK TR7 had Satin Black body seals. Can't remember the rear panel being painted black as standard, maybe some of the limited editions may have been? 

From my view seals the painted body colour look OK. They make the TR7 look more modern to me. But that's just my view.

As my TR7 is low mileage and original I have left it with black seals.

Dave

Thanks Dave; I'm not originality-fixated in the slightest so if that's the way my car is, I'll leave it like that - just wanted to know!

(Also want to know why some TR7s have a long rubber-like nudge strip along each door, roughly where the two colours meet -  is this standard too?)

The early Speke built cars had stain black rear panels (the part to which the rear lights are fixed) but that was changed to match body colour around 1977.  All cars came from the 3 factories with satin black sills (the word seals seems to have crept into some replies).  This was separated from the body colour (and the doors) by a pair of part YKC174  with a pair of end caps ZKC773.  If those parts have been mislaid, then the sills are often sprayed in body colour and left.  

Imaage10.jpg

In my opinion the sill trims would trap dirt, hold moisture and encourage corrosion. I removed them from all the  various TR7s I've owned, but always passed them on to the new owners when I sold the cars.