I have a set of XAS on my chrome wire wheels which I use in the summer. I went through the decision making process and looked at many alternatives and decided to fit T Trac 2 onto my Minilite replicas. As I have used these wheels I am obviously not bothered about looks of my tyre walls, just form, function and an acceptable cost. Over the last five years I have only run 4000 miles due to other commitments and at a grand ish to fit XAS which are already 5 years old I can find better ways to spend my hard earned.

Personally I like the T Trax and the way they perform and at almost 6 full sets for the cost of the XAS kind of makes sense to me.

Camskill are very approachable and will give the information about restocking and I think mine came from another of their supplier with them acting as agents. They appear intermittently and I would wait as I went through the same process and pain as you and they came back into stock. Call them for the story as to restocking them or they could perhaps special order them.

Camskill have always been the best price I know I checked!

BR Rod

Hi Rod,

I did call Camskill the other day and they had no due date info.

As my existing tyres are on the edge of being lawful I decided to go for the Sprint Classic.  More expensive but a better tyre.

Roger

1 hour ago, DRD said:

Anyone tried these https://www.tyres-guru.co.uk/product/D-121649?&ID=psm_rdg_uk_shopzilla&Country=GUK

Seem to be getting good reviews and a reasonable price too.

Looks like a rip-off of the XAS pattern

Stuart.

Any good,

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Vredestein.thumb.png.126020990fce3b4b0c84e469949382e8.png

HI Roger,

This is probably a bit late now, but when I was researching tyres last year I noted how many members used Vredesteins and so I lso I ordered TTracks from Camskill. Great service, they were here the next day.

I examined them when they arrived and was horrified at the wall thickness, or thinness might be more accurate. They went back the next day at my expense.

On our roads around the Welsh hills there are often sharp rocks sticking out of the edges of the narrow roads and I have actually hit a nasty one once in the past. The walls on those Vredesteins wouldn't stand a chance. Ok on ordinary roads I should think, but how many people actually examine the tyre in detail when they arrive, or indeed if they are ordered and fitted at your local tyre firm, then you don't get the chance to see them properly anyway.

I hope this might help others to take a good look and choose if any tyre is the right one for the work you are doing in your car.

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave,

that is very interesting.

On the previous tyre change, about three years ago, I ran over an Oxygen bottle spanner and took the sidewall out of a 50 mile old T-Trac.

I wonder if a different tyre would have survived.

I now have the Sprint Classic fitted and they feel very nice indeed.

Roger

14 hours ago, Dave Ashworth said:

HI Roger,

This is probably a bit late now, but when I was researching tyres last year I noted how many members used Vredesteins and so I lso I ordered TTracks from Camskill. Great service, they were here the next day.

I examined them when they arrived and was horrified at the wall thickness, or thinness might be more accurate. They went back the next day at my expense.

On our roads around the Welsh hills there are often sharp rocks sticking out of the edges of the narrow roads and I have actually hit a nasty one once in the past. The walls on those Vredesteins wouldn't stand a chance. Ok on ordinary roads I should think, but how many people actually examine the tyre in detail when they arrive, or indeed if they are ordered and fitted at your local tyre firm, then you don't get the chance to see them properly anyway.

I hope this might help others to take a good look and choose if any tyre is the right one for the work you are doing in your car.

All the best,

Dave.

What tyre did you go for in the end Dave? 

Hi Mick,

what rims do you have?

Just consider this:

Tirewidth with possible Rimsize:
165 4,0 - 5,5
175 4,5 - 6,0
185 4,5 - 6,5
195 5,0 - 7,5
205 5,0 - 8,5
215 6,0 - 8,5
Here in germany 195/70, 205/65 are very popular. Dunlop, Hankook, Michelin.
Modern tires have a common tire thread.
Jochem
Edited by JochemsTR

Rochem, my TR6 has standard 5 1/2 J steel wheels and I am looking for a tyre to fill the wheel arches as the original 165/80 R15 did. I am not a fan of wide tyres for the look and dislike the current fashion of low profile, uncomfortable, noisy tyres. I do a lot of touring with no desire for high speed, track days etc. Good grip in both rain and dry conditions. I currently have a set of Uniroyal rain tyres but these are now 10 years old, almost worn down and definitely need recycling.

Mick

Mick,

165/80 has a crosssection of 64,5. This does not fit the wheel arch at all. The TRs look like its has it trousers pulled up, walkung thru a puddle of water.

I am driving 205/70....these are even larger (see profile pic).

Jochem

On 11/5/2018 at 11:24 PM, Dave Ashworth said:

On our roads around the Welsh hills there are often sharp rocks sticking out of the edges of the narrow roads and I have actually hit a nasty one once in the past.

A few years back I was driving my company Passat back from Kwik-Fit after having new tyres fitted, and nudged a roadside kerbstone that was sticking out slightly. Next thing I knew, 50 yards later, I was on the rim. That was a Michelin.

Pete

185/70 have the nicest proportions I've seen on the 4/5/6 applications and preserve the overall gearing of the 165-80s originally fitted. Mine may be the only one fitted with them, but I fell for the Michelin XWX when the price dropped from $400 to $300 and the freight was included. Though I've had them for a year I've never really tested their limits though am inching toward that objective. After 45 years of uninterrupted Michelotti TR ownership they are my 1st choice with 3.45:1 diffs on the TR6 or the 3.7:1 for TR4s. Here's what they look like; drop by for a test if you're in the area ^_^:

NewXWX.JPG

Hi Tom,

your second picture has got my mind spinning.

Last week at the tyre shop a visiting tyre fitter stated that ' the Vredsteins' were made by Michelin.

Your tread pattern and sidewall look very very similar to the Vred Sprint Classic.

Does anybody know if Vredstein are actually Michelin ??

Roger