Fitting steering column bushes

This weekend's task is to fit new steering bushes. I have it all disassembled and on the bench. But I've heard they are a pig to get in. 

Any tips? 

vaseline? Also, have people found it hard to line up the two rubber lugs that locate in the holes in the outer column? I ask, because I can see that once they're half way in, they will be a pig to get out again if not lined up  

I've got the standard bushes. I'm also wondering based on some other posts if I need to ream the inside first.  

All thoughts from those that have done this job, gratefully received .

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

the standard bushes should go in fairly easily. The Revington upgrades are much stiffer to get down the tube.

Alignment of the little lugs is not too bad.

Do not ream anything until you have fitted the bushes.

The standard should not need any reaming.

I and a few others have found that the top bush on the Revington ones needed just a tickle from an expanding reamer.

Roger

FWIW the standard ones do not last very long, go for the uprated but buy from TR Shop as they are a bit cheaper.

Stuart.

I installed standard new bushes, am surprised by the radial clearance, if I had known, would have installed “uprated”

Waldi