Gearbox gear lever cap bolt

The long bolt passing through the gear lever cap (3.5"× 1/4 unf), part BH604281 in the Moss book, is worn along its length, and may be contributing to gear lever rattle/vibration.

I think the standard replacement bolt is not especially hard, and will wear fairly quickly. Has anybody else had this issue, and maybe sourced a higher grade bolt?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, the gear lever may be vibrating but it won't be the source only the result. I would start by checking the propshaft as that is the closest component which could cause vibration, has it been Ballanced recently and are the UJs ok?.

Chris

60 yr old ones are usually still Ok so I wouldnt have thought that would be a problem, as Bob says more likely the pin and spring has gone walkabouts. https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/gearboxes-components/gearboxes-external-components-tr2-4a.html

Item 16/17

Stuart.

Thanks everybody.

I think I will stick to a standard bolt, but replace the worn one.

Yes, I do have the plunger and spring, and plenty of grease. The large tapered spring under the cap (Item 11 on the Moss page )seems OK, but in any case new ones are nca.

The propshaft is fairly new (30,000 miles), but I will get it checked and report back.

Mike

These springs are not that difficult to find : I've just fitted one to a TR5 this morning, taken from a 2000 saloon.