Noisy tappets

I have a noisy tappet(s). A bit of a rattle on start up that does not dimInish much when hot. I have a fast road cam that recommends around 0.020 clearances when cold which I suspect is why they rattle. Two choices I guess, reduce the clearances to nearer the standard of 0.010 or accept the recommendation & have the noise. Which is likely to be more harmful, too little clearance or large clearance with the noise?

Check the noisy one as it may have wear on the face of the tappet which is giving a false clearance reading.

Stuart.

Thanks guys but would be a little surprised if it is wear as engine does not have that many miles on it. Is it preferable to get the recommended clearances spot on & accept a bit of noise or try to eliminate that by setting the adjustment a bit tighter?

Hi Monty,

I don't think the noise is owing to the clearance. I've got 16 thou on my 6-pot cam and it's dead silent, while my other engine has 10 thou and it's always been a little noisy.

My '65 TR4 sounded like a diesel at idle until I put a junkyard rocker shaft assembly on it, and then it was perfectly normal. The original was really worn out, apparently. This was in 1973.

Tom

Hi Monty,

firstly check the rocker arm bushes and shaft for wear. This will exacerbate any noise.

If you close the gaps down then you will advance the valve timing. Haven't a clue by how much though.

Stick to the manufacturers settings.

Consider draping a carpet over the rocker cover 

Roger

Hi There. You could try using a dial indicator to set your tappets this will allow for some wear if there is any. Do not go to tight on clearance it could cause the vales not to set properly. I had a similar problem, turned out to be a broken piston ring. Took ages to find as I had never heard one sound so like a loose tappet. Found it by taking the clearance down to 7thou and sound remained the same. Reset tappets to 10thou and used the car for the summer, last year, engine now rebuilt. Mike