TR4A - some trivia "while I'm in there" questions

Hi All,

I am in the process (though slowly) of re-assembly after drivetrain rebuild, incl Radiator re-core, new electric fan with narrow belt conversion, and complete engine, transmission, OD, driveshaft work.

I have a few questions please:

a) What colour are the radiator mounting brackets supposed to be - black or body colour?IMG_2787.JPG.067908a661bcce680b824fb8d3305c69.JPG

b) My OD harness as removed, passes through the front bulkhead and is routed down to the lockout switches by draping over the bell housing with the speedo cable.  I understand the harness is supposed to exit from the switches through the hole in the G/B cover under the dash. What is the correct routing? Is it possible that the Malines built cars were done stock this way?

PS a clarification - the brass fitting was the PO's effort to re-route the scuttle drain away from the behind the wing into the engine bay instead

IMG_2326.JPG.6c388c53a14f5a649e75fa616ef4047c.JPG

c) I have purchased a new Clayton replacement heater which is a 3 speed. Is the early TR6 2 speed switch a direct replacement for the single speed TR4A switch?

Many thanks,

Cheers, Alf

13 hours ago, silverfox4 said:

Thanks Roger.

Brackets black then.

OD harness though  may be more of a challenge - it looks all so original now, so length will definitely have to be carefully assessed.

Cheers

Going through the tunnel rather than through the engine compartment is much more direct so you would be better off buying a new O/Drive harness and starting from scratch, especially looking at the above wiring picture.

Stuart.

38 minutes ago, silverfox4 said:

Thanks Stuart.

I'll look into a new harness from TRF - may be on sale now.

I assume with OD harness in the tunnel, to remove the cover, the process would be to disconnect at the switches and solenoid every time?

Cheers,

Alf

There are Lucar joiners where the cables enter the tunnel so no need to remove from switches/solenoid. See here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/wiring-harnesses-fittings/wiring-harness-fittings-tr5-6.html

Items 16/17/18

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

What's the difference between the two options for item 17  p/n 148696 and UKC345?

Does this item connect to the relay? Do I need17, if I only go from Relay to switches

I don't have a reverse light switch, so assume item 16 p/n 147777 is not required.

I checked the TRF and it shows only p/n 131339 (Moss dwg item 18) being required.

Cheers,

Alf

Apologies I put up the TR6 wiring picture, what you want is on here for 4a https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/wiring-harnesses-fittings/wiring-harness-looms-tr2-4a.html

Items No 11 is the wire from the switch to the relay and then item 12 is the loom that sits on top of the gearbox to the switches and the solenoid.

Stuart.