My old Pirelli tyres stamped 367F

I have four great looking Pirelli Cinturato's on my TR4 with like new tread depth, see picture.

But in the other picture you can see the date stamp 367F.

So I know not to use these on the road but I have two questions.

My understanding is they were made March 1967 but what does the 'F' stand for ?

Would they be of any interested for show and originality purposes ?

They are about to be replaced with ano brand and the wheels will be refurbished at the same time, then the old tyres will be off to the dump.

22Oct18_003.thumb.JPG.d0b2c5cf0f743cba225de4c176c53406.JPG22Oct18_004.thumb.JPG.e1a15dd5ce70d3a5f55fb4e80dc2907b.JPG

5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

F. Is the first letter of the expletive you use when braking hard in the rain with those tyres.  

Peter W

:lol::lol::lol:

Come, come, Peter!   In their day, Cinturatos were considered to be one of the best radials.  In the early 1960s, after reading the very erudite  LJK Setright's articles on the subject of tyres, and checking performance/cost of various radials (including Cinturatos), I decided on G800s for my TR.

Ian Cornish

5 minutes ago, ianc said:

Come, come, Peter!   In their day, Cinturatos were considered to be one of the best radials.  In the early 1960s, after reading the very erudite  LJK Setright's articles on the subject of tyres, and checking performance/cost of various radials (including Cinturatos), I decided on G800s for my TR.

Ian Cornish

..and I parked my TR3A backwards into a kerb one night in the rain, the same day as I had fitted a car set of new Cinturato CF67 tyres in place of my worn SP Sports.  They were sold the following weekend to a TR4 owner who claimed they were the best tyres he had ever had.

Peter W

24 minutes ago, ianc said:

Ian Cornish

I remember the G800, and bought two for my first car, a Standard 8 ( with 10 engine) in 1971. I had 5 1/2" rims on the back and paid weekly for the tyres on my Mothers mail order catalogue- all I could afford then!

When my TR4a first went back in the road, I did enquire about them, but no longer available, so I ordered a set of Goodyear GT80's.That was about 20 odd years ago, and they have only just been changed for Nankangs. I'm sure the GT80's had got so hard that they didn't wear any more, as the car feels so much better now it's on new rubber!

Kevin

Peter,

So you sold them to a TR4 owner, could that have been in 1988 when my TR4 came off the road for unforeseen circumstances …..

Maybe now I know more history.

15 hours ago, ianc said:

Ian Cornish

G800`s were all the rage in the  early 70`s but they werent good on MK2 Jags as they were very noisy and slippery, Cinturatos on the other had were pretty good at least in comparison to the crossplies they normally turned up on.

Stuart.

Peter - any set of brand new tyres WILL slide until they have had a chance to wear. Perhaps you were going a wee bit to fast in the wet on your brand new Cints (we all drove a wee bit too fast back then!).

Ian Cornish

It is a problem with tyres on classics. Generally most of us do not wear out tyres due to the low mileages we cover. It is difficult to know when to throw them away, especially when they still look good & still give good performance.

16 hours ago, monty said:

It is a problem with tyres on classics. Generally most of us do not wear out tyres due to the low mileages we cover. It is difficult to know when to throw them away, especially when they still look good & still give good performance.

Official line from tyre companies is 6 yrs old , but the best test is when you fit new rubber then you do notice the difference.

Stuart.

On 10/22/2018 at 5:49 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

..and I parked my TR3A backwards into a kerb one night in the rain, the same day as I had fitted a car set of new Cinturato CF67 tyres in place of my worn SP Sports.  They were sold the following weekend to a TR4 owner who claimed they were the best tyres he had ever had.

Peter W

Shortly after buying my Pirelli Cint shod TR in 1969 I performed a 360" pirouette in Belgrave Square, London, (it was raining).... didn't hit a thing!!  but went straight to the tyre shop the next day and put on a set of SP Sports.

Rob

On 22 October 2018 at 8:36 PM, RobG said:

Peter,

So you sold them to a TR4 owner, could that have been in 1988 when my TR4 came off the road for unforeseen circumstances …..

Maybe now I know more history.

The tyres were sold in 1977. to an owner of a two tone blue TR4.  Base colour Valencia, taper stripe Wedgewood.  Looked quite smart.

Peter W

My experience parallels Rob's. When father bought the 4A in 1970 it was on Cinturatos. The first time we took it out in the wet we found it tail happy to say the least! It was straight to the local fitters the next day for a set of Dunlop SP Sports. These were a great tyre in their day, capable of shifting a prodigious amount of standing water with their 'aquajets' and offering excellent adhesion on a dry surface. The soft compound resulted in the penalty of shorter life but better this for the tyre than driver/passenger in the  wet UK climate.

Tim

Keith,

I should call my TR4 Joseph as currently it has a coat of many colours.

All the outer panels are the original 1964 Triumph Racing Green.

I had some paint made up to spray my new body tub but it was a little dark, but close, this was for the inner wings, bootspace etc.

Have tried various Vauxhall, Peugeot and Land Rover spays from Halfords but ...

I now have a source for cellulose Triumph Racing Green so will patch with that until the BIG respray comes.

4 hours ago, RobG said:

Keith,

I should call my TR4 Joseph as currently it has a coat of many colours.

All the outer panels are the original 1964 Triumph Racing Green.

I had some paint made up to spray my new body tub but it was a little dark, but close, this was for the inner wings, bootspace etc.

Have tried various Vauxhall, Peugeot and Land Rover spays from Halfords but ...

I now have a source for cellulose Triumph Racing Green so will patch with that until the BIG respray comes.

Sounds familiar. My car was also a version of Triumph Racing Green, and I had similar difficulties matching to my version. When the time came for my "big" respray I had it done in Mazda British Racing Green. It's almost identical (identical in most lights) but of course being a modern paint it is easy to duplicate exact match from almost any supplier.

Mike

Edited by MikeF
  • 3 months later...

The Pirelli Cinturatos were certainly very much all the rage in the 60's probably more by virtue of astute marketing  than actual performance, but having said that, I had them on a couple of glass fibre "specials"  (one TR3 based and one E93a Ford Popular based) and they performed remarkably well in wet and dry. However, I seem to recall that there was some doubt about their performance on heavier cars.

David

Well I won't know what they are like as I will be replacing these very soon.

Anyone want them for authenticity or originality reasons ?

Note MikeF re colour, I have found the Rimmer custom made Conifer Green very close to my original paintwork. Bit of T-Cut on the old paint and is surprisingly close.

RobG

Edited by RobG

Lebro,

That would be an honour. He can choose the best from the four. Let him know if anyone is in his circle of friends.

RobG