Windscreen wiper spindle nut size

Hi,

I'm removing the wipers, motor, etc to clean and re-grease it all, as the wipers move at glacial speed.

The wheelbox spindle threads have been damaged by a PO, meaning I couldn't get the nuts off, so had to use a nut splitter. Now to re-cut the threads...does anyone know the size? I think the thread pitch is 1.0 and my micrometer measures 17mm across the threads, so is it M17 x1.0? It's an odd size if so and I can't find a die of that size (I'm in Australia).

Thanks.

Ross

Something tells me the wheel box nuts were LH &/or RH threaded on TR7. 

Someone who has done this job may be able to confirm. 

That may have been why you could not undo the wheel box nut....

Peter W

PS I think I would carefully clean the threads with a wire brush and the edge of a three square (triangular) needle file.

https://contenti.com/grobet-three-square-triangular-needle-files

Rimmers

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-AAU6865

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Something tells me the wheel box nuts were LH &/or RH threaded on TR7. 

Someone who has done this job may be able to confirm. 

Yes, I've just replaced both wheelboxes and the old ones were handed, although don't ask me which was which. In fitting the new nut, none of my spanners fitted and I've 30 years of them lying about the garage, in all shapes sizes and grades. in the end I had to use an adjustable spanner.

Thanks both. The passenger side was certainly a normal R-handed thread, the driver's side I have no idea, the nut was so rounded that I couldn't get a purchase on it anyway (which may of course suggest a PO damaged it not realising it may be a L-handed thread. I certainly had no idea.)

I may have to resort to replacements from Rimmer (the link says L-handed thread) but I'll try recutting the threads first, I have nothing to loose now.

Thanks again.