VUX's MX5 Seats

Well, in preparation for  touring next I bit the bullet and picked up a set of Mk2 MX5 seats in OE style leather from Paul Bishop on Friday as the foam has started to break up on VUX's leather covered originals.  Spoke with Stuart about brackets and he recommended the Technicalities Cd type and after looking at these brackets fitted to Baldrick's TR6 I decided they sat me too high as the steering wheel was on my thighs and they are non-adjustable. So I'm trying brackets from Paul Bishop which are made from 5mm steel plates, are height adjustable and they seem very well made (but I'm no engineer), I'll see how these go - in any event, RMR didn't return my calls!

I've spent several hours over this weekend test fitting, spraying the brackets and final fitting today - been out for a test drive with the LHC, they are very comfy and suit the TR6 very well, but some seat height fettling is still required; will probably have to lower the front by 5mm rear by about 10mm. The fitting was pretty straight forward, just lots of measuring and patience needed - photos from the weekend:

Out with the old and in with an MX5 seat:

44511522_10212987203129991_7680569163647

44719494_10212987200929936_7218274092384

Brackets, sprayed and loose fitted:

44455671_10212987203369997_4005696021639

44468249_10212987201809958_1819645543006

44571356_10212987201689955_4600178186133

Some minor seat height adjustment needed, but pretty much job done - oh, I finally got a Chris Russell made 'Breeze-Breaker', so it pays to be patient!

44449709_10212987202689980_1258412275128

Cheers

Andrew

I got mine from TRGB and I installed them directly to the floor pan and punched the studs through the carpet and underlay, then bolted the seats down.

Try fitting them without the carpet to see if that’s any better!

Funny how I have the Technicalities brackets and the wheel is nowhere near my legs Andrew, must be what we discussed about too much stuffing. Next time your down try mine.

Stuart.

Sorry Andrew in my eyes this is a retrograde step. MX5 seats belong in a Mixie. If and its a big if you feel you have to fit these (already done) then bin the headrests which make the seats look like thrones.

Tin hat being pulled out of cellar as I write this.

Alan G

1 hour ago, cp25616 said:

Sorry Andrew in my eyes this is a retrograde step. MX5 seats belong in a Mixie. If and its a big if you feel you have to fit these (already done) then bin the headrests which make the seats look like thrones.

Alan G

Until you get smacked up the arse by white van man!

I've got the same setup in BUO and found the seat squab a bit to 'flat' for me,  so as I had already completely removed the seat belt mounting I was able to replace the 2 bolts that fitted the seat base to the front of the runners with longer items (M8 I think) and fit plastic spacers between the seat base and the runner, worked a treat for me 

2 hours ago, cp25616 said:

Alan G

You are so wrong:o

Cheers

Mike

1 hour ago, DaveN said:

Until you get smacked up the arse by white van man!

What's that all about safer in those than original, what is your basis for that comment?

Cheers

Mike

5 hours ago, cp25616 said:

Alan G

Yep  I'm with you on that Alan.

Edited by DRD

Controversial words...

Fitted mine to reduce the whiplash issue, but first bought some original frames with headest fittings. However the cost of reupholstering put me off. So bought mx5 seats in the mean time. Just finished the RBRR, which so probably the true test of whether a car seat was comfortable and we finished 49 hours of driving with no aches. Mind you I don't know if the original seats (which I also find comfortable) would have given the same. Now if you want comfortable seats try a stag.  Very nice...

Tim

4 hours ago, mike3739 said:

You are so wrong:o

Cheers

Mike

When I rebuilt my seats the steel frames needed over 30 rewelded joints to repair all the broken ones! They would not have worked well in an accident? They were totally unsafe in my view and I later found out that this was not an uncommon occurrence.

Bruce.

The fitting of MX5 seats always divides opinion.

Being into originality as I am, or used to be so it seems.......I shared the same view as Alan, DRD and no doubt others for many, many years.  However views change. Yes, there is the originality thing, great for concours and survivors, but would anyone really put originality over their own or loved ones' safety?

So, having the foam start to crumble in my original seats and with the likely cost and of having them refoamed plus any professional frame repairs/restoration required (correct OE foams alone cost some £400), or buying and fitting a pair of leather MX5 seats from Paul Bishop (£650) the original seats were destined to be consigned to the loft - maybe I'll get them done one day or maybe have a go myself, or maybe leave them up there? 

Cost was not the only, or indeed the major factor - with the touring planned in VUX for next year (Spain, South of France and Italy, plus home touring) and for the foreseeable years to come, then comfort and the inherent safety provided by the MX5 seats was a major deciding factor. Whilst the original seats were fine for sunny days driving and did survive a 3 week 3,200 mile trip to CLM, the Dordogne and the South of France a few years ago, I cannot honestly say they were particularly comfortable towards the end of the journey (maybe the foam was on its way out then?), but nor did we feel safe in the event of a rear end shunt.

Personally, I think they look very good in VUX and do not look out of place - I do need to lower them to the original seat height and rake though, or close to it.

Stuart,

Yes, maybe Tony's were over stuffed or maybe I've got muscular thighs :).......so will pop in again when next down your way.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew, I have the same seats and brackets as you have. Very happy with them, I’ve had them for about 3-4 years and toured France and Spain quite a few times now and they a very comfortable.

Andrew,

I read your post with interest as I am ready to install Miata seats in my 72 TR. Could you elaborate on the brackets you used?  I haven't seen similar ones on this side of the pond.  Also what did you do about the original mounting studs? If you ground them off why not bolt the seats directly to the floor as you have to drill it anyway?Thanks,

Bill

18 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Andrew, I have the same seats and brackets as you have. Very happy with them, I’ve had them for about 3-4 years and toured France and Spain quite a few times now and they a very comfortable.

That's good to know Kev, I'm sure they will be equally comfortable for the trips planned in 2019 and beyond.

1 hour ago, MAXD said:

Andrew,

I read your post with interest as I am ready to install Miata seats in my 72 TR. Could you elaborate on the brackets you used?  I haven't seen similar ones on this side of the pond.  Also what did you do about the original mounting studs? If you ground them off why not bolt the seats directly to the floor as you have to drill it anyway?Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Can't tell you anymore about the brackets other than what I've posted above - they are available from Paul Bishop in Winchester, England (I'm assuming you're stateside) - Paul's email address is: pbuapp at (@) googlemail.com

TR6 seats do not have mounting studs, if your's do then they've been added at some point in time -  original seats were bolted to the floor with captive nuts under the floor pan.

Regards, Andrew

23 hours ago, mike3739 said:

Well said Harry some people never learn:lol:

Cheers

Mike

A little bit harsh there Mike, evidently you are into all things bling and I am not. I think there is enough room for us all surely?   Is it just me though, why do people want to make their TR's into a TVR lookalike or a Mixie clone,  why don't they just buy one of these and be done with it.?

Alan G 

3 hours ago, cp25616 said:

I think there is enough room for us all surely?   

Is it just me though, why do people want to make their TR's into a TVR lookalike or a Mixie clone,  why don't they just buy one of these and be done with it.?

And they say irony is a dying art:lol:

I have Mk 1 MX5 seats in my 4A and they are a big improvement on the originals. My wife was concerned about whiplash as the 4A seats finish about half way up your back. 

I used the brackets shown in one of the Roger Williams "Improving TRs" books. The front bracket is taller than the back which gives good support under your thighs. The seats also flip forward to easily allow you to put a large suitcase behind the seats and they have speakers in the headrests so you don't have to cut non standard holes in the car. Wouldn't want to turn it into a TVR....

I have kept the fully reconditioned original seats so that the original purity can be restored in the future if necessary. In the meantime we will travel long distances in slightly greater comfort and safety. ( In addition to White Van Man, we also have White Ute Man here in Oz. They are by far the fastest vehicles on the road).

Rockie

They look spot on. Love the MX5 Seats. Not only do the look “period” they are comfortable to drive in. One of the best things I ever did was replace the originals with the separate headrest MX5 Seats.

technology (even seat technology......”ergonomics”) has moved on in the last few decades, more comfortable/supportive seating = more enjoyable driving......what’s not to like?

enjoy.