Rare Standard and Triumph Booklet?

I was given this amazing booklet by my club registrar today.

Apologies for the many photos, but I found it interesting.

It is a 1953 booklet about Standard and Triumph specifications that his dad was given in 1953, showing such for all current models in 1953 (Renown, Mayflower, Vanguard, Delivery Van and Pickup Truck) The TR2 is referenced as "Triumph Sports Car". Nothing about TR2.

I think perhaps pre-production as it lists the power as 80bhp and not 90 and it has a stamped date 5 March 1953, while TS1 was made in July 1953.

In any case. I think it may be quite a rare item and it has some interesting info, like that the carpets had a felt under layer.

Unfortunately a mouse ate a crescent, but luckily not enough to damage the text!

I also find it very interesting that measurements are given in both metric and imperial.

TR2Booklet1.jpg

TR2Booklet2.jpg

TR2Booklet3.jpg

TR2Booklet4.jpg

TR2Booklet5.jpg

TR2Booklet6.jpg

TR2Booklet7.jpg

TR2Booklet8.jpg

Edited by irrational

Marvellous - have never seen one of these before.  Must be as rare as rocking horse droppings!

You're right about the power - the prototype started at 80 BHP, and Harry Webster's engineering team, working with Ken Richardson, transformed the car from what would have been a disaster had it been launched in that form, into a winning machine.

Ian Cornish

I have a little red book also called Standard and Triumph Specifications 1953 but possibly an earlier edition. The "Specification of the Triumph Sports Car"  shows the bhp as 75 and fuel consumption of 24 mpg, so not really sporting or economical. The spare wheel is mounted externally with the filler cap in the centre, the mythical TR1? Only available in ivory with vermilion leather trim.

Cheers Richard

I'll happily scan the whole booklet.

I think that this booklet might be specific to South Africa, but I'll do some more research to try and find out.

I think both the UK and South Africa changed to metric only in the 1960s, so the inclusion of the metric measurements are interesting to me.

Dirk

Specification of Triumph Sports Car hopefully attached. Note that the full range of colours available on Standard Triumph cars was 5! I spoke to Bill Piggott a number of years ago about this booklet and he said the Register archive has a copy.

Cheers Richard

DSCN1530.JPG

Here is a link to the entire scanned booklet.

Its about a 14MB download as its high quality pdf.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PIcIH_Su0McI1hWBsqzA3K8HL7kkPJxS/view?usp=sharing

Dirk