So I have finally managed to get the gearbox out after an afternoon of struggling.

I had forgotten that you have to remove the half moon shaped sealing plate at the bottom of the bell housing before you can slide the box back.  Doh.

How anyone can remove an overdrive box without some sort of crane is beyond me, I can only just lift it when I am standing over it, let alone at arms length bent over double in the car.

Next step is to deal with the leaks.

Rgds Ian

TR3 Gearbox on Crane.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Interesting that you have a weight on the rear of the box ? I thought they were only fitted to '4s

Bob

I bought it for a fiver at the International a few years ago and thought I’d give it a go. Who knows if it works. 

I’ve turned it upside down to get it out of the way when I’m removing the box.

Rgfs Ian 

4 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

So I have finally managed to get the gearbox out after an afternoon of struggling.

I had forgotten that you have to remove the half moon shaped sealing plate at the bottom of the bell housing before you can slide the box back.  Doh.

How anyone can remove an overdrive box without some sort of crane is beyond me, I can only just lift it when I am standing over it, let alone at arms length bent over double in the car.

Next step is to deal with the leaks.

Rgds Ian

TR3 Gearbox on Crane.jpg

I thought about a crane when I removed mine, but felt the presence of a crane stuck through the door aperture might've made things more difficult overall.

Two of us managed to lift out the overdrive box and reinstall without too much difficulty, though I did use a trolley jack under the car to rest it on and to manoeuvre it in and out of position. Appreciate though, that if single handed, the crane would be indispensable.

Kevin

I managed to remove my overdrive gearbox single-handed without a crane a couple of years ago - had to wait until SWMBO was out though as I was under strict instructions to avoid another heart attack!   Taking it out alone was OK but it took three of us to get it back in using several jacks and a lot of Anglo-Saxon.

Hi Ian,

I do like that crane and one day I will build it (I have the plans - thank you John)

At present I use an electric scissor jack under the GB to help with alignment.

Getting the box in and out is simply 'BF & BI'  - it works.

With a croc jack under the sump and the leccy jack under the GB alignment is not too bad. There is enough 'rock' on the leccy jack to allow the box to be pushed forward.

But I do like the crane.

Roger 

Very nice solution Ian. My idea was to weld up a dogleg to lower the sliding part of the boom on my engine crane. I  wonder if anyone has tried a similar approach? I put this off when I found and fixed a very substantial leak in the shift rods with the transmission in situ but will need to haul the the thing to deal with a second gear issue in the spring. (I'm hoping to be somewhat more ambitious then)

Tom

2 minutes ago, TomMull said:

Very nice solution Ian. My idea was to weld up a dogleg to lower the sliding part of the boom on my engine crane. I  wonder if anyone has tried a similar approach? I put this off when I found and fixed a very substantial leak in the shift rods with the transmission in situ but will need to haul the the thing to deal with a second gear issue in the spring. (I'm hoping to be somewhat more ambitious then)

Tom

Not my solution I'm afraid Tom, John Morrison posted pics of the one he had made on the forum a while ago and offered plans to anyone who asked.  I simply followed his plans with only minor changes dictated by what I had available.  If I were making one again, I would slightly lower the rotating stand for the jack, I have got it too near the pivot point at the top but it works so it is staying there and I would use smaller castors at the front because as it is, I have to slightly jack the car up to get the legs under the chassis rails - but the castors were left over from the frame that I made to move the body shell around on when I was rebuilding the car.

Rgds Ian

Today I "popped" mine (OD) in by my own. Actualy it was hard to believe it took about a minnute to get it alligned and get the splines married.

With the experience of the previous 1 hour mounting exercise together with a helpful neighbour and some good reading on this forum I had slightly changed the plan off attack. I realysed that the engine/gearbox are not mounted level into the chassis, als such if you glide or trolley the gearbox towards the engine the forward movement angle of the primairy shaft must be the same angle als the spline in the friction plate. ( hope I explain this in the right way). So I lifted the car higher at back than on the front such the engine/gearbox are more or less level and paralel to the ground.

Think it helped, but anyway must have had a lot off luck too. 

Robert

Robert said:

“Actualy it was hard to believe it took about a minnute to get it alligned and get the splines married.”

When I did mine, a few months ago, it took TWO DAYS…(Doing it on my own and getting really pee’d off.)

But at least it was eventually in.

Then when I came to drive it (just out of the garage) I realized that the release bearing was shot…

The fun of owning a classic. (And cutting corners, trying to save money.)

Charlie.