New Member with TR3B project

Hello everybody, I'm Martin, a long-time TR fan and recent addition to your forum. I'm a displaced Brit, living in Seattle, Washington.

I owned a 1959 TR3a for around 3 years during my time living in Switzerland and since arriving here in the USA, I've had a hankering for another. Recent searching has turned up a 1962 TR3b, which has laid dormant for 27 years. I have agreed to purchase the car and will be starting on its restoration this winter.

I would be interested to know how many TR3b's are known to survive. Does anyone have a record?
Also, I ordered from British Motor Heritage a certificate, only to be informed that the build record for my car is missing. Has anyone else experienced this and is there another way to find out the information?
So far I have been able to determine that my car was built between 2 dates, approximately a month apart, but it would be great to confirm the original build information as the car appears to be largely original and unmolested.

Thanks in advance for any help received. 
Martin.

IMG_4395.JPG

Martin, welcome back to TR'ing, and to our forum., you will find here all the help

and encouragement you might from time to time need.

Car looks a good one, certainly I've seen much worse.

good Luck.

John.

4 hours ago, Martin Lewis said:

Hello everybody, I'm Martin, a long-time TR fan and recent addition to your forum. I'm a displaced Brit, living in Seattle, Washington.

I owned a 1959 TR3a for around 3 years during my time living in Switzerland and since arriving here in the USA, I've had a hankering for another. Recent searching has turned up a 1962 TR3b, which has laid dormant for 27 years. I have agreed to purchase the car and will be starting on its restoration this winter.

I would be interested to know how many TR3b's are known to survive. Does anyone have a record?
Also, I ordered from British Motor Heritage a certificate, only to be informed that the build record for my car is missing. Has anyone else experienced this and is there another way to find out the information?
So far I have been able to determine that my car was built between 2 dates, approximately a month apart, but it would be great to confirm the original build information as the car appears to be largely original and unmolested.

Thanks in advance for any help received. 
Martin.

IMG_4395.JPG

Hi Martin

I believe Mike Ellis keeps a register of all known TR3B´s.

I sent him a message last year about a friend of mine here in Spain who has a complete as built unrestored model, and now that he has returned it to U.K. he has won many awards for his originality.

Where in Switzerland did you live? I have just returned from my sixth visit to the Swiss Classic British Car Meeting in Morges,  alas only four times in my 1958 TR3A.

Do you know of Drakes Classic cars in Kelowna B.C. I have been there three times to see his stock and a natter. May seem a long way but not as far as Morges for me around 1000 miles one way.

Dave

Welcome Martin. Car looks good from here but more pictures would be good once you get the TR3 home.

FYI I moved from Switzerland to the USA and also bought a powder blue TR3A project that I restored between 2010 and 2016 with a great deal of help from this forum especially Stuart that you will come across soon enough.

Stan

19 hours ago, Dave Larnder said:

Hi Martin

I believe Mike Ellis keeps a register of all known TR3B´s.

I sent him a message last year about a friend of mine here in Spain who has a complete as built unrestored model, and now that he has returned it to U.K. he has won many awards for his originality.

Where in Switzerland did you live? I have just returned from my sixth visit to the Swiss Classic British Car Meeting in Morges,  alas only four times in my 1958 TR3A.

Do you know of Drakes Classic cars in Kelowna B.C. I have been there three times to see his stock and a natter. May seem a long way but not as far as Morges for me around 1000 miles one way.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I lived in the Toggenburg valley, in the kanton of St. Gallen. I too visited the Morges classic car meeting (3 times if memory serves) and also the large eastern Swiss meeting at the airfield in Mollis. Fun times!
I haven't heard of Drakes Classics, but I shall make a note of the name and make a trip up there sometime. I work very long hours, but weekends are generally free so a trip would be possible.

I'm also trying to find any more information on the hardtop that the car has fitted. It's not one that I recognise and neither has anybody else so far!

More pictures will follow in November when the car is collected.

C.jpg

Hi Martin

Goggle  Drakes Motors or maybe Drakes classic motors in Kelowna B.C. for a little more info before you make the journey. Len is the father and Scott is his son.

Never heard about Mollis, when is that for a future visit? but only if it is near the date of Morges or too far to travel twice in one year.

Hope you get info from Mike Ellis O.K. but I have never seen a hardtop like that, it would appear to have quite a blind spot.

Keep in touch and KEEP TR-ING. I call my car TRESA which is Spanish for 3A

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Martin,

Welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of information on here but even more is available to TR Register Club members. We have a huge archive of technical data and the Registrars maintain extensive records of individual cars and data about their specific marques.

If you are interested in becoming a member, then send me a pm, as you see from my info. I am the club's International Director who represents all non-UK members.

Mick Forey

Edited by Mick Forey

Hi Martin,

As a fellow 3B owner welcome to the club. There is someone in Holland collating information on 3B's and where they are in the world. When I bought mine in 2005 he soon contacted me for information on the car, I was surprised to learn he knew where I bought the car from in California. Unfortunately I cannot recall his name, I will sift through old correspondence and let you know if anything turns up. I do recall him saying he had recorded more than 500 survivors and that was in 2005.

Good luck with the project,

Simon

On 11/26/2018 at 9:44 AM, Mick Forey said:

Martin,

The man to speak to is Gertjan van de Klashorst. I will send you a pm with his email address. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

Mick

Mick

I thought Mike Ellis was the one who had this info as I wrote to him twice before but the last time I did not get an answer, so maybe he handed it onto Gertjan.

I have another owner here in Spain but his car is in Warrington where he still has a house. Can you give Gertjan´s details for me so I can pass on this info.

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Mike is the club's registrar for all sidescreen cars but Gertjan has made a really detailed study of all things TR3B, they share info and lots of enthusiasm. pm on its way.

Mick

Hi David,

Silly me. I have just realised that as Gertjan, is the European Coordinator for TR Club Holland, his email is already in the public domain on our website: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/group/tr-club-holland

There you go and still compliant to GDPR, phew.

Mick