Any ideas on this?

23 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

That is the correct units for describing the level of ZDDP.   "1300ppm ZDDP" is about 7-fold lower level. There's a long thread a year or so ago where we uncovered many classic oils using what is, to me, sheer trickery. 

As a rule of thumb if an oil is catalyst-friendly it has  a much lower ZDDP concentration that the oils our TR engines were designed to use..

Peter

Link here:

My first post  is about half-way down page 1/

Peter

And now we see why the idiots who decided to eliminate post numbering has destroyed the ease of use of the forum.

21 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

VR1 20W/50... if it's the mineral oil it should be ok, but if it's the synthetic it won't help your bedding in of rings, it's very slippy. . If you are changing it I would put a flushing oil in to try and remove as much as you can and then your choice of oil, given that you are trying to remove old oil and can stand a little wear when only doing 400 miles per annum I'd fit one of the well known ones, Halfords or Comma (effectively the same oil I believe). It has about 700 ppm Zinc as ZDDP in it but importantly it's well priced so you can change it again if needed to get you onto a mineral oil base.

When and if the engine beds in ok with rings to bores and glazing is removed you could go use whatever oil you wish, your choice. Me I use Classic Oils Heritage range, it's 20-50, it's a mineral oil and shows the correct ZDDP range even printing it on the plastic container.

post-6602-0-56460700-1536431663_thumb.jpg

Mick Richards    

The label describes ZDDP level exactly as it should be, by decades-long established convention.

I would not use any oil that states "ppm ZDDP".

Peter

Gents, good morning.  In the US I also use valvoline VR1 because of what I understand to be the higher zinc levels.  Valvoline state that VR1 has..

... Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus (link https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/racing-oil-faq)

So that would be 1300ppm.  Is that adequate or is there something I'm missing? 

Thanks for the guidance.

2 hours ago, Jim F said:

Gents, good morning.  In the US I also use valvoline VR1 because of what I understand to be the higher zinc levels.  Valvoline state that VR1 has..

... Valvoline VR1 Racing Oil contains .13 percent zinc and .12 percent phosphorus (link https://www.valvoline.com/about-us/faq/racing-oil-faq)

Thanks for the guidance.

That's what thought?

5 hours ago, Jim F said:

Thanks for the guidance.

JIm, It would not be 1300ppm ZDDP, it is 1300 ppm Zinc.  Zinc is a small component of ZDDP so the ppm of ZDDP will be bigger, around 10,000 ppm. 

Valvoline use the correct units to express the ZDDP level so VR1 is good stuff in that respect.  

However in UK we need our wits about us as there are a lot of classic oils with low ZDDP, the unit having been surreptitiously changed from ppm Zinc to ppm ZDDP.  The number stays impressivley large but the ZDDP concentration will be 7 maybe 10 fold lower.

Peter