Upper outer steering column adrift?

Hi all,

Posting here as I think this component is common to more than the TR6. 

The top of the outer steering column. The bit that the indicators attach to. Seems to have come adrift. When I depress the turn signal stalk the upper part of the column rotates someway with it. The lower part of the outer steering column stays put. 

Anyone know how best to solve this? How is the upper fixed to the lower. Looks like they are separate but joined in some way. 

Cheers

Tim

Yes. 24. Suspect it is interference. But suspect mine has lost its interference. Was wondering about riveting?

Tim

It is made from aluminium right? Don't think I am going to be able to weld it if it is. 

Tim

Perfect pictures. I think I may blind rivet it. 

Tim

5 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tim,

is it only the cowl that is loose?.

The whole outer cover can come loose in its mountings.

Roger

If the tube is broken where the drill for the lock is and #51 is missing.

It's just the upper part that is loose.. the rest is well clamped.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Roger, it's the same for me as the other Tim. It is just the upper part of the cowl assembly that is loose, both the forward and rearward clamps are tight on the lower cylindrical part.

Tim

On 10/18/2018 at 7:39 PM, Tim D. said:

Yes. 24. Suspect it is interference. But suspect mine has lost its interference. Was wondering about riveting?

Tim

Hi Tim,

how about using something like Alu-weld.  This is a welding technique that is very similar to soldering.

In theory it is easy to do. In practice you need practice.

Roger

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tim,

how about using something like Alu-weld.  This is a welding technique that is very similar to soldering.

In theory it is easy to do. In practice you need practice.

Roger

Its too thin for that Roger, riveting is possibly the best or find another one, FWIW the saloon one though longer can be cut down to suit.

Stuart.

23 hours ago, stuart said:

Its too thin for that Roger, riveting is possibly the best or find another one, FWIW the saloon one though longer can be cut down to suit.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I was thinking of Alutight 

This process looks interesting if you haven't got Ali Mig or Tig.

Roger

I have a version of that for fusion welding, its better for repairing castings than for thin stuff like the column tubes.

Stuart.

I had this problem on my 4, the cowl could rotate and  even had small slack in and out no matter how I tightened everything up. In the end I RTFM and saw the under bonnet clamp was supposed to be packed with a piece of leather!  Which it wasn't. Inserting a piece of butyl rubber - an ex piece of pond liner that happened to be handy - solved problem in a few minutes.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Looked at it over the weekend and the cowl has definitely separated from the tube.  Ideally want to sort it in situ so welding is out. But looks like a river or screw or two will hold it. 

Cheer Tim

Hi chaps,
Sorted it in the end.  Rivet through the top and a screw through the bottom attaching the cowl to the cable cover. Rock solid now. 
Cheers
Tim
Ps not sure why the formatting has gone mad!

20181022_194245.jpg

20181022_194319.jpg