TR5 front wing ID

Whilst stripping the front wing on my 5 back to the metal I exposed a couple of 'ID stamps' which appear to read Spencer Works.

Has anybody else come across these ?

Who are Spencers?

Any info gratefully received as usual.

Many thanks,

Tim

IMG_4200s.thumb.JPG.fe856e5083f1ed42fe2775e4c8141990.JPGIMG_4201s.thumb.JPG.c06b7b0731cf348cee30e6c9e6195643.JPG

Never seen anything like that Tim but was interested by the date stamp of '69' which means it must have been a replacement panel fitted very shortly after the end of the TR5 production run? Accident damage?

Well spotted John! I had not seen that. It is definitely a replacement wing as there is other evidence of accident damage. Would have been fitted pre 1977. Wouldn't think it was transfer from wrapping as surely it would have been cleaned off prior to spraying?

Tim

Tim,

You said " Wouldn't think it was transfer from wrapping ".

I think you are right because if it was , then surely it would be a mirror image of the words.(The printed bit on the wrapping would be transfered, mirror like, to the metal.)

Very strange, but there must be a reason.

Charlie.

Pete,

That is some answer - I'll buy that!!!!!

Where on earth did you find that info from?

I did google it but came up with nothing.

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

It's the product of a twisted mind and too much time doing cryptic crosswords! :blink:

I googled Spencer works and the 4th entry down mentions 'Llanwern Steelworks were originally built for Richard Thomas & Baldwin'. Using the letters RTB from your first image, I then searched for 'Spencer steel works' and found that one.

Pete

Edited by Peter S

Well keep doing the crosswords!

Tim

Hi Tim and Peter, 

Going off track, my Home team of Southwell played a touring Llanwern Steelworks side at Rugby.

It was the dirtiest game I have ever played in , we even spilled off the Rugby pitch down onto the Football pitch.. Fighting all the way !!

Great night in the bar though !!

Keep up the good work Tim.

Conrad.