On 10/15/2018 at 3:14 PM, Chris Hubball said:

Learned Gentlemen

I have converted my TR4 from a spring to a Lockheed Diaphragm clutch. My questions are do I delete the return spring on the slave cylinder if so why ? should I also retain the threaded adjusting rod and as per the manual set the clearance at .010 free play or fit a plain unthreaded rod if so from what or what length.

Cheers Chris

So how do you change from spring to diaphragm clutch?

Thanks

Tony

On my 3a you get  an expert to correctly drill your flywheel and tap certain holes and dowl others. To accept the diaphragm clutch. 

1A21BAB1-915E-4B44-A73B-C9460E8E5DFF.jpeg

Or, if you can't find an expert you do it your self.  Just requires some extremely careful measurements, marking out, center punching, drilling, & threading.

I did mine, & it worked out OK.

Bob.

9 hours ago, Lebro said:

Or, if you can't find an expert you do it your self.  Just requires some extremely careful measurements, marking out, center punching, drilling, & threading.

I did mine, & it worked out OK.

Bob.

You are a better man than me bob !! I admire those with the skills to do this level of change   

peter cox did mine as part of my gearbox od work. He has a template for this job. 

The new clutch cover plate is the template, you just have to get it central. which is where the careful measurements are required

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
14 hours ago, Chris Hubball said:

Gentlemen

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice, is it advisable and easier to set the adjustment before the spring is attached the workshop manual is not specific on this.

Cheers Chris

Yes disconnect the spring and push the slave cylinder rod right home into the cylinder, push the actuating arm rearwards so the bearing contacts the clutch plate then do the adjustment and get your clearance and finally reconnect the spring.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart