TR3 rear bench

Finally, after searching for over 10 years, I bought a TR3 yesterday. It's a 1961 former US car that has been used for rallies the past few years. Couldn't be more happy!

Now, I'd like to take the kids (3 and 6y) with me, but this car doesn't have a rear bench. Can you fit a rear bench in every TR3?

How about seat belts? Probably not obligatory, but I'd rather fit a set if possible

You can fit the bench seat but you need the post 60.000 version with the flat back floor. 

In terms of seatbelts for kids regardless of the age of car you need to fit approved belts even in the rear. No belts,  no kids according my understanding of the law. And you will need appropriate child seats in the rear. 

Well done Doddel.Have fun!

All TR3s can be fitted with a rear seat.The earlier ones have to be fitted over some floor mounted brackets,

the later 'flat floor' cars (yours I presume) have a differing, probably simpler solution, but neither is beyond the

wit of a TR man!

A child aged 3 or over can travel in a back seat w/o a child car seat and without a seat belt if the vehicle doesn't

have one! Much more relaxed legislation applies to children on motorcycles!

Roger M-E

VIN is TS73201L

previous owner installed racing seats, but I have the original seats as well. Might have to mount these before working on the rear bench

anyone has a drawing of the bench structure? I assume I can just cut a multiplex plate in the right shape as a starter

The bench is a very simple rectangular piece of plywood surmounted with a horsehair stuffed cushion. The rear seat on pre 60 000 cars had a slight curve on them.

I have recently fitted an aluminium firewall in front of the fuel tank and find that in spite if all my fiddling about that it prevents the rear seat from going as far back as it should - my seat is not fixed. - thus stopping the front seats from sliding all the way back. I mention this only if you may be thinking of (wisely) adding a firewall later, especially if you are going to carry your kids.

james

4 minutes ago, james christie said:

The bench is a very simple rectangular piece of plywood surmounted with a horsehair stuffed cushion. The rear seat on pre 60 000 cars had a slight curve on them.

I have recently fitted an aluminium firewall in front of the fuel tank and find that in spite if all my fiddling about that it prevents the rear seat from going as far back as it should - my seat is not fixed. - thus stopping the front seats from sliding all the way back. I mention this only if you may be thinking of (wisely) adding a firewall later, especially if you are going to carry your kids.

james

what type of aluminium insulation did you use for the firewall?

I cannot remember the thickness of the aluminium sheet but it was thin enough to cut and shape fairly easily then pop riveted to aluminium angle iron which had been prefixed to the rear seat floor and the inner wings. A template was made first with cardboard. The top at both sides requires a lot of thought and patience. No insulation used but it was sealed to the car with a mastic that expands when heated. I hope somebody will come on here and give us the name.

If you use the search facility on this forum you will find a lot of very good info from those that have already done this modification and probably better than me !

james

Hi

this is the type of thing. 

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/rtr7100/name/fire-wall-tr2-3a-sloping-flat-floor

Couple mm is all that is needed thin enough to cut with tin snips if you want to make your own  

if you buy the part you still need to come up with the fitting points as described by James  

the ideal sealant is intumesant  or something like heat-mate 

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/product/heat-mate-sealant/

A very worthwhile and on the road safety modification. 

H

Edited by Hamish
Sp

When I bought my SA TR3a it had a padded bench in the back. Obviously home made but very simple . Just a section of mdf trimmed standing on two alloy legs and bracketed back to the body below the moulded dummy rear sear cushion. Pretty primitive but it obviously worked.  If I can find it I will take an image.   Cheers Chris

All 2/3’s can have a bench seat. It easier on a post 60K , but they were an option on sloping floor cars as well. The bolt head (with captive nut behind) on the vertical face of the rear floor on early cars is the support leg mounting point. One each side.

Iain

Edited by iain

You cant really fit one to a TR2 as the larger tank negates that with the rear cockpit board being further forward.Which is why the factory never fitted one until the TR3 came out at which point the tank lost a gallon and the back board gained the slight padding and pattern to enable it to be used as a back rest.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...