TR6 LEFT STANDING FOR 10 WEEKS

I got back home last night after a 10 week absence during which the cars were untouched. 

The TR2 started after a couple of cranks but the TR6 took quite a while to get going, maybe three 15-20 second cranks. But fire she did and in a short test drive today she ran sweetly, pulled powerfully to 4500rpm (my usual self imposed limit) and idled nicely.

I was concerned at the car standing for so long untouched but there don't appear to be any problems. Touch wood!

My TR6 is pretty much the same. For 3 months or so over winter it's left in the garage. I just add Stabil to the fuel and leave a trickle charger/timer  set to top up the battery for 20 mins a day.

I started using Stabil a  few years ago after some  bad experiences with stale Australian 98 unleaded after overwintering. 

It's not really a problem; I've regularly left my 6 for up to 9 weeks without starting at least twice a year since 2008 as we spend a lot of time in Spain & I've never had any problems. It does take a while to fire up due to the injector line pressure having dropped away but it usually kicks into life after 3 or 4 10 second bursts on the starter (this prevents the starter motor over heating) & also helps get the oil pumped around the engine before starting as you should see the oil pressure rise on the gauge. The only other thing I do is keep the battery fully topped up with a smart trickle charger.

Not a fan of easy start as it can wash the all important oil film residue from the butterfly spindles & valve stems on it's way through.  

Edited by Richard Crawley

It may help to have a separate switch for the fuel pump, and to leave that running for twenty of thirty seconds before trying for an engine start.

If ony needed occasionally, the jump leads from the battery to the fuel pump, but of cocurse, if you have carbs and a mechanical pump this is no help at all!

John

I always leave the ignition and pump running for up to a minute before turning the key. Seems to work for me.

Dave from sunny Spain

Only used my Pi car twice this year...it always needs several minutes of pump running to build up to pressurize the system...then loads of cranking over from cold...I have to keep the starter engaged chasing it until enough cylinders fire before releasing the key...been like that for more years than I care to remember! It certainly wouldn't make a get-away-car if it wasn't warmed up first!

At the end of the season End October/beginning November I clean the car, check the fluids, tank full and inflate the tires up to 45 psi. Thats all. After 6 months I switch the ignition, wait  a little, turning the key and the car starts within 10 seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do people park up over winter? I use mine all year round.

However, fuel has a shelf life of around 6 weeks. The aromatics start to boil off which means there are fewer of the compounds needs to get the engine started. That being said, Esso and Shell are two of the highest quality fuels so will last for longer. If you fill up at the supermarket you may be less fortunate.

I will use my car any time of year if the weather is dry but after having had to cut out & repair so much rust in the chassis & body during restoration (completed in 2004), I took a conscious decision not to use it in wet weather; although I have been caught out in the rain a couple of times. I bought the car in 1975 & drove it into the ground as a daily driver over 11 years until 1986 when it finally expired but it was rather a disappointment when, after a marathon 18 year restoration, I finally got to drive what was basically a brand new car in 2004. I then realised how antiquated it was compared to modern vehicles & my early experience & memories of owning & driving the car when almost new were very rose tinted. It's far easier to use the wife's new Nissan with all it's creature comforts & modern technological aids & although she used to drive the TR daily in the 70's & 80's, she now refuses to get behind the wheel & is also picky about when she joins me in it for a spin. Although I still love driving the car & will never part with it (bequeathed to my eldest daughter at her insistence), a 3 hour drive I regularly do to/from Northampton leaves me with a stiff & sore back & aching arm & leg muscles, for me the car is just not practical or well suited to modern, daily use any longer!