Windscreen Wiper

I'm trying to replace the wheelbox assembly, nearest to the motor. Have removed body plate and the plate on the assembly but the driver cable doesn't come out.

All of the manuals suggest the cable can be removed with ease.

Apart from bending the back plate or withdrawing the cable completely I'm at a loss to see how to remove it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My advice would be to leave the cable connected to the wiper motor. Undo the nuts holding the wiper motor in place and use the wiper motor to pull the cable through. It may need a good tug at first but I'm sure that if it's been greased it will fly out.

Regards

Steve

You cannot do anything with a wheelbox as long as there is a cable running through it. So ignore any plates (ie fasten back up any that you have undone) and as Steve says, simply undo the motor from its mounts and PULL. Do not dissemble the motor or the cable from it.

The whole cable will withdraw from the wheelboxes. Then, and only then, once the cable is no longer running through the wheelbox in question, can you start undoing plates to give access to the wheelbox. Note that when the wiper spigot stops turning, as you withdraw the cable, you can stop pulling. This should leave the cable still in the first tube, thereby making reassembly easy.

By the way, I have assumed you have already taken the dash apart to get to this point - no mean feat in itself!

Make a note of how the tubes fasten into the wheelbox before you undo it - which you have to do in order to withdraw it from the scuttle. Also keep hold of the tubes with tie wrap or something similar to stop them dropping into the void.

A tip: as you withdraw the cable, the driver's side wiper spigot will stop turning before the one you are trying to replace (assuming a UK car). Do not touch it. Once you have done all the work on the passenger side, and just before you replace the cable, turn the driver's spigot manually through 180 degrees. This means that when the cable goes back in, it will be operating on new teeth in the wheel box.

regards

Ray

Warning - check that the drive cable fits the new wheelbox before you fit up. I bought a new pair that had too much clearance and did not mesh with the drive cable at all. Course, I didn't find out until after I fitted it and you know how difficult that is.

Many thanks, I was about to pull the cable through as it seemed like the only solution, just dont understand why the manuals dont mention it.

Yes dash is fully out, fitting an alarm, cleaning up instruments and adding a push starter button. No mean feat as you say.