Fuel & temp gauges, plus overdrive - earth leak??

Hi Folks,

Not been on here for some time.

My overdrive has been intermitant for several years - sometimes not going in at all.....stop somewhere, or use it the next day and it's fine. It has got worse lately. Also, the fuel and temp gauges either don't work, or read lower than they should - again intermitant.

To me, this all points to electrical problems, probably an earth leak. Whether the same leak is causing all 3 issues, I don't know. I found one of the 35A fuses was blown the other day too.

Tried to investigate wiring and found a thick brown to brown/cream wire connection behind the ignition was brittle and dodgy. Ahaaa....so replaced that connection and the overdrive kicked in beautifully - faster than before it seemed to me. Gauges....hmm, still seemed to have probs.

Now I'm back where I started - overdrive not working and gauges still the same. I have checked and rechecked that new connection. It must be elsewhere.

Any ideas on where to check first and how to do so?

Thanks,

Steve

On the backside of the speedometer instrument, top center, there is a horizontal electrical item screwed on. 

It is a voltage stabilizer. Make certain that the connectors are tight to the spades and that it is secured tightly to the instrument.

That will effect the gauges that you mentioned. It may even need to be replaced, but check for good connections first.

I usually unbolt the two bolts securing the seat, remove the seat, to lie on  my back with a strong light source. And a short screwdriver.

I can't speak to the OD issue, but others will.

Cheers

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

Righto thanks, will do!

Yeah, I ususally lie like that with the seat in situ and my legs dangling over the back....bloody uncomfortable and getting harder to extract myself these days!! :D

Edited by Steve Whiteley

Steve, -just an additional thought.

There is a book in print by author Dan Masters called Electrical Handbook for TR6.

It has troubleshooting in text & in diagram form for every instrument on the TR6.

It converted me from a complete electrical dumkoff to someone capable of straightening out electrical issues on the TR6.

Recommended.

Cheers

Walt

DSCF1157 (15).JPG

ok, so that seems to have been the gauge issue - tightened one spade connector up and they now read ok. There are 4 connection points on that regulator and 3 wires attached (could not see a 4th hangning free) all green. One has a male spade connector and looks like the corresponding on the rear of the unit is female but hard to see and harder to put back on! I'll have to remove the unit and do it proper like.

Overdrive still out though....any further ideas on this, gratefully received. The intermitant nature says electrical wiring/connection to me.

Is it an 'A' or 'J' type overdrive? Can you hear it click when the engine is off with ignition on and selecting it with the gear lever in 4th.

There are switches on the gearbox, the actual overdrive switch on the column, on an 'A' type a relay in engine bay. Also the solenoid underneath, lots of wires/connections to check. But confirm if you have a click/clunk sound from the solenoid first. 

Edited by Mk2 Chopper

Hi Steve,

Check the level of oil in the gearbox.

Kind Regards,

Dave from  Spain

Check the solenoid is working properly first - if it clicks in OK fine but you really need to check it's actually engaging properly & to do this, you will need to remove the gearbox tunnel inspection plate. If the solenoid is working properly, non engagement of the overdrive can be due to any one of a number of reasons from incorrect solenoid adjustment, low oil level, clogged filter, knackered oil pump piston rings, worn clutch etc.The gearbox & overdrive share the same oil & if the wrong oil used over a long period, it can literally rot the internal brass components in the box & overdrive unit which in turn will clog everything up with brass particles & stop it engaging properly.

Some history of the car would be useful - how long have you had the car, service history, service oil used etc.

Thanks Graeme and Pierre.

That book pays for itself the first time you have an electrical problem you would have to pay a technician to repair--- but now you open the book and there's the answer to fix it yourself.

Electrical repairs on the TR6 have always been a mystery, but now everything has gotten fixed- by me.

That's not to say the frustration of accessing behind the dash is easy!

But, the book gives you 'vision', so it's doable.

Cheers

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

Hi Richard,

Dave could tell you all about the history of the car, as he rebuilt it from a wreck in '91 to concours standard - hello Dave how are you?? Long time no hear..I've had the car since 2006.

I've not had a chance to go back and check the solenoid engagement as yet.....but I suspect it is not engaging and, as I say, it is electrical. Dave - I've not actually checked the oil level in the box lately, but the box and overdrive were rebuild by Pete Cox only 4k miles ago. As I say, I'm pretty sure it's electrical. I'll investigate further, thanks for the suggestions chaps.

How's life in Espana Dave?

Hi Steve,

Good to hear from you. I've often thought about you and COV. Though I still have the water colour of it hanging on wall  in my "office",  so never far from my mind. Here is a picture of it painted by Steve Fitton as a gift for my 50th birthday in 1992.

Life is well over here in Spain. It is still too hot for me, though.

COV TR6.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Len,

Good thanks - how are you and the GWTR lot? Seems like a lively group emerged from my lack of leadership! :P

I've not actually managed to get to a local meet here, much to my shame.

COV languishes in a tent garage (yes, a TENT....I know....hate it, but no funds for a proper one at the mo).

Re the problem:

When I try to engage overdrive sitting on drive with engine off and in gear, there is no click as I engage, but there is one as I disengage.

And Dave: lovely pic of COV there. Car's doing fine (apart from the tent) and still looks in fine fettle. I was down your way last week actually - on a sailing course out of Gib and we went to Marbella on one day.

Edited by Steve Whiteley

Do a search on my postings....I did a write up of the problems I had with my intermittent A drive not working and how I eventually solved it