MX5 seat belt guides. Warning!

I recently purchased a pair of S/S aftermarket seat belt guides that fit the headrest supports on MX5 Seats (from eBay)

after using them for only a short time, my seatbelts are fraying quite badly. I am removing the guides and will replace my seatbelts. 

I have informed the seller but have yet to receive a response. 

I would suggest MX5 seat users think VERY CAREFULLY before installing these. 

Simon

A5EC503D-368D-4C1F-9266-10D9D37A7820.jpeg

Those arent the normal ones that a lot of people use, normally they only fit on one headrest support rod and are cast ally, yours dont look to be well finished on the edges hence the rubbing on the belt. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-MGB-MGC-TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-SOLID-ALUMINIUM-SEAT-BELT-GUIDE-BUTLER-TIDY-SET/392142140198?hash=item5b4d7e3326:g:u1gAAOSwUO9bi9TN

Or thesehttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-MGTF-MG-TF-Pair-Seat-Belt-Tidy-Holder-Guide-Restraint-Clip-Two/352466629195?hash=item5210a5f24b:g:PHMAAOSwA-NbpN1E

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Friend of mine makes HIGHT QUALITY belt guides for the Mercedes Benz R107 since about 10 years, aluminium, polished and than chromed.

Looks like the guides on Stuard's second link, but MUCH better. On demand he makes them also für Porsche 911, Alfa and Fiat Spider.

For me and a friend he made 3 pairs for our TRs with MX5 seats, one pair is still in my workshop.

If wanted I can show a photos and sell this pair, but they are no bargain - but also no scrap at all.

I've been using the first style identified in Stuart's email for about 4 years and reckon they are excellent - no sign of damage to the belt.  I did ask the supplier to shorten them a little as there would have been a problem with fouling the hood mechanism, because I have  roll bar fitted that slightly limits the seat movement.  He did so at no extra cost and only a slight delay.

Certainly is, Tim.  I took the opportunity of visiting this iconic site when the LVG did its Honfleur/Loire/Champagne trip earlier this year.  Really interesting to simply walk around the area and in the quiet, let the imagination go and think what it must have been like all that time ago.

I especially liked this simple sign painted on the wall.

Pierre414216011_P1030578-small.thumb.JPG.734b387a3f1cb511dc8f4fe8a791987c.JPG

1 hour ago, Richard71 said:

I'm glad this came up, I was about to buy a set as in the original post.

Are there any suitable alternatives available for the two post headrest?

Richard.

What about this?

P1250169-b.JPG.9338044ec129607f0c16f66ab4bc126b.JPG

P1250171-b.JPG

P1250173-b.JPG

Edited by Z320
  • 2 years later...
On 10/10/2018 at 12:42 PM, Z320 said:

Friend of mine makes HIGHT QUALITY belt guides for the Mercedes Benz R107 since about 10 years, aluminium, polished and than chromed.

Looks like the guides on Stuard's second link, but MUCH better. On demand he makes them also für Porsche 911, Alfa and Fiat Spider.

For me and a friend he made 3 pairs for our TRs with MX5 seats, one pair is still in my workshop.

If wanted I can show a photos and sell this pair, but they are no bargain - but also no scrap at all.

are these  still available as the link is not working need a pair  please 

Hi Sue,

the one at my workshop is out at the UK.

Sadly my club friend is in the 80-ties and I've been told he doesn't make them anymore.

But I know some Dutch TR guyes make them due to the sketch I gave them.

I have to ask them, because they make them all manual, this is pretty much effort.

Ciao, Marco

8 hours ago, Z320 said:

Sorry, bad news from the NL,

no production of my mates belt guides there, you have to DIY

(btw who is Sue?)

To all new- comers:

Allow me to sayI would encourage new-comers on this forum to give a short introduction. We have seen several new people on this forum, without any form of that; treat this forum and its members with respect, this is a unique place.

Everyone is welcome and there is a lot you can get, even for free, but please be a gentlemen (or lady off course)

Thank you,
Waldi