Dashboard removal

Hi all - I've decided that the only way I'm going to properly fix my heater is to remove the dashboard. I've got the heater control panel, the light panel and the gauges all removed.

What I need now is a good guide to the rest - hidden screws or bolts and things to watch out for. I've found plenty of articles saying "remove the dashboard as per procedure" but never actually found the procedure, and plenty of posts claiming owners have done it in an hour, but not saying exactly how!

Can anyone give me a pointer to the simplest method?

DSCF5784.jpg.b11114e472879dc42c0d77c8e6b87d81.jpg

There are a number of "hidden" fixings the best way is to refer to the proper manual which shows them all. I will try to add a picture.

IMG_5861.JPG

Edited by dursley

I am not at home so not able to access the manual directly but you can get an pdf online version on my iDrive here:-

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz1MK9YiTPtjOVVRU0xWR284TmM

The pages you need start at page 281, section 76.46.01

I had to fix my heater a couple of years ago and used a replacement matrix that does not have the problem leaky seals. Speak to Steve Wilcox at S&S Preparations who supplies them.  Good luck

Edited by dursley
Added link to online workshop manual

Hi, I'm doing the reverse process at the moment. It looks like you are well  down the road of removing yours. It's worthgvremoving the glovebox door if only to give you better holding place whgen taking out thebig lump. The fresh air vent pipes need to. be disconnected and removed. The fuse box hgangs off the back of the glovebox. there are a couple of self tappers need removing there. The screws on. top are obvious, there's no need to remove the screws either side of the vent/demister meshes. There is a screw at each of the lower corners, below the side vents which aren't so easy to see, then that's pretty much it I think. Hope that helps.

I replaced the dashboard illumination with leds and the dimmer rheostat with an electronic dimmer while I had the dash in bits. Well worth thhe effort.

Job done, and surprising easily too. There are myriads of threads on this, but not one actually tells you how to do it!

For anyone else wishing to do it: remove the centre top grille, and the gauge cover panel - that's straightforward, plus the radio console surround and switch panels above - all screws are clearly visible. I didn't remove the steering wheel but I did remove the screen pillar trims, and the gauge console.

The dash top screws are all visible - I removed the vent screws too, this just drops the plastic vent pipes a bit and they're easily reattached. There are two lugs held on by bolts in the centre of the dash; it saves breaking these if the bolts are completely removed.

Along the bottom edge of the dash there are five or six self tappers, each with a rubber washer. After that there are three self tappers at the back of the glovebox supporting the fusebox.

That's it! Pull it out gently and detach the air vent pipes. No mystery or problems, although the centre section is quite thin and will flex, so be careful not to break it.

I've also removed the heater and will replace all seals, and possibly an uprated matrix as well (£114 off eBay);  and the heater rheostat requires replacing, which was the reason it all came out in the first place.

Keith - I've already replaced the dash bulbs but might do so again with LEDs; what dimmer did you go for? Does it work ok with LEDs?

Finally if I have a problem with the heater valve is a replacement available?

dash.jpg.b483ecbd90e9f2ae609361823bd15a1f.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi I have found the quickest and easiest way to remove the shear bolts is to cut a slot across the end of the bolt with a junior hacksaw. Then a fine flat blade screwdriver will wind them out. You may cut into the steering lock surrounding the bolts but this won't be seen when the cowling goes back on. 

I’ve removed the dashboard of my DHC on several occasions, albeit in the garage, with the roof down.  Its probably easier with the steering wheel removed but I’ve not had to.   It may be different on a FHC with the restricted headroom...

I removed the sheer bolts on my classic mini by making a slot with a cutting disc equipped angle grinder, for a large screwdriver.

Edited by BusheyTrader
Better detail