1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tom,

thanks for that. I have seen this product over the years but never used it.

Sadly it will not help me as the leak area is just rear of the big brass nut and covered by on overhang of the brass nut body casting.

If my mega bodge fails then I have one more trick up my sleeve.

At BA we used a rather good sealant for fuel tanks. A two part  rubbery stuff - Thiokol.  I think it may be rather expensive though.

Roger 

Wasn't it Morton-Thiokol who were responsible for the failed seals on the Challenger solid rocket boosters?  That didn't end well to say the least.

1 hour ago, peejay4A said:

Wasn't it Morton-Thiokol who were responsible for the failed seals on the Challenger solid rocket boosters?  That didn't end well to say the least.

Hi Pete,

quite right. Some naughty things going on that caused a serious loss of life.

Roger

16 minutes ago, ntc said:

Hi Roger

A type? if so the link plate will not be flat common fault.

Hi Neil,

either not flat or cracked - if it is still leaking tomorrow then plan 'w' will be brought forward.

Roger

3 hours ago, RogerH said:

I wonder if the GB will be out before or after Christmas. !!!

Probably Christmas Eve if I know you.

we always have to have a panic over Christmas, for years it was Concorde. Before that it was Stylophones for  colleagues kids.

Edited by SuzanneH

Hi Folks,

I took the 4A out for a 100 mile drive today to see if my leak repair has worked.

It appears to have done the job so far.

However I noticed that the sump screws looked rather leaky. They were all tight.

One of the front screws appeared to be too long , so this left a corner not too secure.

Removed all the screws and put them back with copious gloops of sealant.

Upon getting out from under the car I notice a new drip of GB oil hanging on the back of the OD.

Can the seal be replaced with the GB insitu - item #89 https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/overdrives-components/overdrive-units-components-tr2-4a.html

I suspect that the flange #90 may have a groove in it and need a sleeve.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I'm sure the seal can be changed but I think you may have to check the endfloat before you undo the coupling, there are calibrated washers to adjust the endfloat.

It may be better to get a different seal from a supplier perhaps with a double lip to keep the grit out as well, there may be better seals/material than are supplied by the usual suppliers.

John

Hi Roger, I replaced the seal with the box in position. It was required to remove the propshaft to get space for sliding off the flange. Also you need to make somerhing up to force the new seal back into the taill of the gearbox.

In my case it was leaking because the drive-flange surface was pitted on the outside which caused the seal not to function properly. I ordered a "new" flange at a well known UK supplier, unfortunately the "new" flange did not even meet the quality of refurbished.:angry: It was just a piece fresh painted old ****.

Robert

Edited by RdeJ
On 22 October 2018 at 4:21 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Tom,

thanks for that. I have seen this product over the years but never used it.

Sadly it will not help me as the leak area is just rear of the big brass nut and covered by on overhang of the brass nut body casting.

If my mega bodge fails then I have one more trick up my sleeve.

At BA we used a rather good sealant for fuel tanks. A two part  rubbery stuff - Thiokol.  I think it may be rather expensive though.

Roger 

PR1422 B2 is the stuff - Fixed my 3A tank when I worked at Lakers, still working today.

https://www.amazon.com/PRC-Desoto-PR-1422-Fuel-Sealant/dp/B00DJBU9N0

Peter W

Hi Folks,

the sealant on the GB leak appears to be holding - so that is a tick.

I replaced the GB/OD rear seal and flange and that is now dry - so another tick.

The sump has given up and doing as I say - no leaks - another tick

The diff looked damp at the 6-o-clock position so I have put a coating of sealant on that - the jury is out on that one.

There is something going on with the crank rear seal.

It is a Christian Marx seal so should be good. But there is always a small smudging of black oil at the bottom of the bell housing drain hole.

I feel I am winning but have I won !!!

Roger

Hi Roger,

Mine leaks from the (new) brass tapered GB drain plug, o km of use. That’s a poor start after a restauration, so I plan to drain the GB oil and use a sealant on the thread. Is this leakage on the plug “normal”? I think I torqued it enough.

Did not want to hi-jack your post, but thought relevant so posted here.

Regards,

Waldi

Thanks Roger, since it is a tapered thread I assumed it would not need any sealant, apparently... it does.

will drain and apply ptfe tape.

Regards,

Waldi

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

whilst under the 4A, removing the diff, I checked the area that I tries to seal last month (October).

I failed, it is still leaking. I shall remove the slurp that I put on and replace with better slurp and see if that does the trick.

I know damn well that I will be removing the GB in  a month or so's time to do it properly but I can't resist a good old fashioned bodge.

Roger