A bit of advice to locate a rear end clonk please.

Hi All

So the Tr5 has developed a slightly alarming rear end clonk and I need some pointers please.

The diff is quiet and smooth under load, the clonk happens when i lift off the power and sounds like it comes from rear end diff area. When I accelerate and the drivetrain is under load its fine all seems normal but when I lift off to decelerate or change gear something clonks. The harder I drive it the bigger the clonk. I first thought it might be a driveshaft and knowing I hadn't serviced the sliding splines for a while I did that, the uj's seemed smooth with no excessive play so i put them back in, and it made absolutely no difference.  I span up the wheels whilst on jacks and couldn't replicate the noise so guess its only under load. I have been under the car for ages shaking everything and trying to locate something but all appears fine to my untrained eye. The diff is wet around the seals, but not bad, but is totally secure so think I've ruled out mounting pins (i had them reinforced some years back). Cant find anything obvious or loose so I'm scratching my head a bit. Does this sound like a failing diff? Its the only part of the drivetrain i haven't replaced in my ownership so on the basis that one would like to think the other components haven't worn out in 2/3 years (bad assumption I know) i'm thinking diff.  Is there any way to test it on the car I just don't want to pay for an expensive rebuild if it's not essential or not even necessary right now as I was planning to spend my tiny Tr budget on sorting some rust at the bottom of the A and B pillars on the drivers side. Any pointers, opinions much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim,

do a search for 'rear end clock'. I did a list (long list) of what may go.

You say the UJ's have no excessive movement  ( smooth with no excessive play so i )  there should be NO play just rotational movement.

I am doing the same thing as you at the moment.

Taking my diff (feels very good) for a rebuild :o

Taking the drive shafts to the Proptech  people for testing.:o

Sounds expensive

Roger

Edited by RogerH

If you are certain it is not the diff mounts, check diff front mounting plate - it can fracture.

Having the diff pins reinforced does not mean they will not break, and it's really difficult to see without dropping the diff.

jerry