Finding original registration

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but a search didn’t yield anything that answered my query. 

I’ve recently acquired a 1954 TR2 which was first registered 30th July 1954 in the UK but at some point has left the country and been re-imported and a generic age related registration assigned. 

Is there any way to find the original registration number? A BMIHT certificate confirms matching vin (TS2320), body number and engine number but don’t have any other info.

Thanks. 

That is great news, Paul! What's the condition like? Pics, please!

IlRC, the old Bill Piggott-type traces often gave detail of the Standard-Triumph dealer who first sold the car; from that you could ascertain the borough council which probably first registered the car, and then you'd try to find if their records are still extant. Might this work in your case, l wonder?

See you soon at a Group meeting!

Tim.

Hi Tim, indeed!

I know the original dealer it was sold through so could check the council records if I knew how (I’ll do some digging).

Condition is generally great - it’s just passed an MOT and rot free. It will be getting a respray though as it’s been painted badly and I want a black TR2 LOL. It’ll be a black version of your car!

Beamish reliability run 2019 is looking good...

If you know where it was sold when new (area), check the County records department for that date. It will be recorded with the com. no. It might cost you but it might not. 

I should have read your last post. :blink:

Cheers John

Edited by John390

slightly different twist.  i have reg number but lost the commision number .I know careless but all put neatly in a folder but a couple of moves and vanished.

Been to the records dept for the county and they were not kept from that far back so i am at a loss.

DVLA accept that i have / own the car but thats as far as i could get.

41 minutes ago, roy53 said:

slightly different twist.  i have reg number but lost the commision number .I know careless but all put neatly in a folder but a couple of moves and vanished.

Been to the records dept for the county and they were not kept from that far back so i am at a loss.

DVLA accept that i have / own the car but thats as far as i could get.

I dont know if they can still do it but Heritage used to be able to find the car from the engine number (If its still got its original that is)

Stuart.

If the commission number plates were there before you bought the car perhaps you have photos that can be enhanced. I took hundreds of pics during the disassembly so have a full photo record.

Have you chaps seen the Original Type body tags are now available from a Memeber, page 19 of Traction. 

In brass with the right Font.

Conrad.

1 hour ago, hpremote said:

Ah, a factory reconditioned (FR) engine! An early one, as well!  : )

Tim.

Yes, presume the engine pre-dates the car by some months and was set aside for factory replacement later?

8A8C76DA-2327-4521-AE5D-9C182D64FC46.jpeg

Paul,

Your reply implies you think the TS  692 is unique
to your FR engine.  I think not.  I think there would
have been a TS692E block and that your TS692FR
will be a different block.

I am not aware of any info that relates to the dates
when TS xxx FR numbers were issued, although
BillP and MikeE may have some info based on their
experience.

AlanR

On 10/8/2018 at 1:53 PM, TR 2100 said:

Paul,

Your reply implies you think the TS  692 is unique
to your FR engine.  I think not.  I think there would
have been a TS692E block and that your TS692FR
will be a different block.

I am not aware of any info that relates to the dates
when TS xxx FR numbers were issued, although
BillP and MikeE may have some info based on their
experience.

AlanR

Hi Alan,,

I presumed only 1 number would cover whole engine but new to the early sidescreens so don’t know much about them. I did think that the numbers would consequetive and 692 was a spare engine that they used when my original engine was replaced under warranty. 

Cheers. 

Hi Paul,

I was guessing/speculating when I wrote my comment,
hoping that maybe Stuart would offer the benefit of his
experience - but no luck.

My impression is that FR numbers were closer to being
consecutive than they would have been had the original
number  been retained(so greater spread of numbers).

I think a lot of the FR blocks would have been early TR2
blocks (no camshaft bearings) with camshaft bearings added.

I think you live in Blyth?  I am in Whitley Bay (and also had
my TR4 retored at TR Enterprise.  We should get together
sometime.

Regards
AlanR

DSC01965.jpg

Edited by TR 2100

I think the FR series of numbers operates independently of the original TS series as you often come across relatively low FR numbered engines in a lot later on in production cars.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, roger murray-evans said:

AlanR

I've got a early TR2 (non cam bearing block) with an FR plate on it, and it still has
no cam bearings.Could be, of course, that they hadn't started fitting cam bearings at the
stage where this one was overhauled or, they just overhauled what was in front of them
if blocks were in short supply?

Roger M-E

That does surprise me.  I hope it was fitted with a cross drilled crank?!

AlanR

On 10/2/2018 at 7:07 PM, Paul Heritage2 said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but a search didn’t yield anything that answered my query. 

I’ve recently acquired a 1954 TR2 which was first registered 30th July 1954 in the UK but at some point has left the country and been re-imported and a generic age related registration assigned. 

Is there any way to find the original registration number? A BMIHT certificate confirms matching vin (TS2320), body number and engine number but don’t have any other info.

Thanks. 

Hi, It's not listed on the VTR (vintage triumph register USA) TS 2321 is there. Oh well it was worth a look. 

Regards ken

23 hours ago, TR 2100 said:

Hi Paul,

I was guessing/speculating when I wrote my comment,
hoping that maybe Stuart would offer the benefit of his
experience - but no luck.

My impression is that FR numbers were closer to being
consecutive than they would have been had the original
number  been retained(so greater spread of numbers).

I think a lot of the FR blocks would have been early TR2
blocks (no camshaft bearings) with camshaft bearings added.

I think you live in Blyth?  I am in Whitley Bay (and also had
my TR4 retored at TR Enterprise.  We should get together
sometime.

Regards
AlanR

DSC01965.jpg

Hi Alan,

Yes, just a couple of miles away. We did chat at Raby a few years ago.

TRE upgraded the engine on my TR4 and they’re currently sorting out the rear ride height and installing a bigger clutch (too much power and torque for the TR6 clutch!). They’ve also got the TR2 now and will be fixing the body bodges and repainting it. 

Cheers.