FITTING USB CONNECTION

1 minute ago, ada69 said:

Thanks Kev,

looks exactly what I am after.   However I am not electrical I am more mechanical.   Can you tell me what size wires, connections etc are required and how the components are 'wired' together,

Thanks

Adrian

No problem Adrian, I’ve got a lot on this weekend but if it’s OK with you I could give you a detailed list and wiring diagram Monday afternoon. I’ll send it to you via PM or if you rather I could email to you. Just PM me your email address.

Adrian - its probably not a good idea to post your e-mail address here as it can be read by anyone accessing the forum including 'bots'. PM is much safer. Its the envelope icon at the top of the page.

Edited by RobH

Hi Adrian

I like Kev's solution - another option is to attach it under the glovebox as I've done on my TR6 - see picture. I have wired it into the fusebox so it is permanently live, which means I can charge my phone without having the ignition on. I can dig out where I got mine from if you want further info.  It is set back to allow access past the lip of dash vinyl, which has the benefit that it is out of sight from outside the car.

Cheers

Steve

IMG_3546.JPG

3 minutes ago, Lebro said:

I would also be interested in where that unit came from - a fellow TR owner wants one for his  AC Greyhound.

Bob.

Bob, I know you understand the issue but does your friend with the AC Greyhound realise his car must be negative earth if USB Cigarette lighter socket etc  is added.  I would guess all plug in accessory socket USB devices expect the vehicle to be wired negative earth. (I know a man who fried his satnav in his original pos earth classic car.)

Peter W

Hi Bob / Adrian

It came from RoadPro - link below. They do a range of 12v USB / lighter sockets, so you can see what suits you best. I've also seen versions with LEDs to indicate battery state, etc., but can't recall where.

Cheers

Steve

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/02g02-procar-lighter-type-sockets/pro-car-surface-mounted-twin-lighter-socket-twin-usb-c0254/C0254

28 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Bob, I know you understand the issue but does your friend with the AC Greyhound realise his car must be negative earth if USB Cigarette lighter socket etc  is added.  I would guess all plug in accessory socket USB devices expect the vehicle to be wired negative earth. (I know a man who fried his satnav in his original pos earth classic car.)

Peter W

Worry ye not Peter, we have that issue covered.

Bob.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:45 PM, Kevo_6 said:

No problem Adrian, I’ve got a lot on this weekend but if it’s OK with you I could give you a detailed list and wiring diagram Monday afternoon. I’ll send it to you via PM or if you rather I could email to you. Just PM me your email address.

Kev,

You have a PM.

Dave McD 

I've put one on the inside right hand side wall of the glove box. A female / double USB port. You can get these almost anywhere

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/blue-sea-systems-twin-fast-charge-usb-power-socket-5v-48a.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CHGeek-Socket-Charger-Waterproof-motorcycle/dp/B07C96SP75/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1540725284&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+12v+sockets

Then I ran a power line/fused to the socket and an earth to a suitable earth point. Then you can plug in the Sat nav behind the dash and up through the ash tray and plug the phone in and leave inside the glove box out of sight. No wires. The only downside is, that you may have to take the glove box out to secure the plug.

Best Bill

For event etc use, I run one in the boot, so that I could leave the laptop in relative security, charging, so that I can download video and pics from the cameras.

John

Edited by john.r.davies