Mallory Park, Sunday 7th October

It's a funny old business, racing.     In my VItesse, I've got 140ccs less than any other car, 300 less than Jon, and 4 LITRES less than the other Jon (Wolfe), but because of the six cylinders I must be in Group 2 with the Big Bangers.     My result would be little better in Group 1, but at least I'd have another six drivers within a second of my best lap time, and I could be racing, not circulating the track with not another car in sight, which was the situation until you passed me, Jon (again) about 30 minutes in!        

Qualifying in the morning was MUCH more fun!     First race, damp and squirly track, I was racing for most of the session, with other cars.   In the race I might as well have been sprinting.

Hrrrrrmph, JOhn

John, you must be able to be asked to be moved to group 2 as less than 2000cc’s.

Surely showing how many laps down of the leader in this race is a good example of car not being in right group.

You car does look a handful (don’t vitesses have a very weird rear suspension?), a lot of it is about handling and also as SS’s is a series and not a championship, rules are fairly loose. I. You can bore and stroke within same block, so a 5 litre could be 5.7, a 2.4 (i.e. the Datsun I was racing can go to 3.0), and a Triumph 6 block can go to 2.7 and maybe more.

If you cannot convince CSCC to drop you a class maybe do a 2.6 version of you block? 

It is also more complicated than that obviously as to get top power from any configuration costs in terms of trick cranks, rods, heads, etc etc.

have you done those mods to the rear end to stop the bottom of the wheel pulling in? Presume that would be no.1 mid when tracking a spit or vitesse though...?