tr4 bonnet

Hi all, i am just about ready to paint my repaired bonnet, the underside looks ok but I was thinking of putting on a coat of shultz and then over painting to give it a reasonable appearance but also to act as a sound proofer and eliminate any tendency to act drum like. Anybody done this ? will it melt ? what other alternatives are there ? thoughts please.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron,

don't know much about sound deadening but before you paint it have you fitted the strengthening plates for the rear corners.

The corners have a tendency to bend if the bonnet is dropped to close it.

see pic - I welded mine on after painting - stresssssssss

Roger

P1040667a.jpg

16 hours ago, ronhatch said:

Hi all, i am just about ready to paint my repaired bonnet, the underside looks ok but I was thinking of putting on a coat of shultz and then over painting to give it a reasonable appearance but also to act as a sound proofer and eliminate any tendency to act drum like. Anybody done this ? will it melt ? what other alternatives are there ? thoughts please.

Regards

Ron

I wouldnt as 1. Its a great way to devalue your car and 2. It will bubble with the heat if not applied correctly.

Stuart.

Hi Ron,

You won't hear any drum from the bonnet, just the lovely noise of the engine and carbs underneath :)

Also, avoid lifting the bonnet at the corners; grab it in the middle - It's a weighty panel and lifting it at the corners also contributes to the eventual bending.

cheers

Ade

On 9/28/2018 at 9:55 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Ron,

don't know much about sound deadening but before you paint it have you fitted the strengthening plates for the rear corners.

The corners have a tendency to bend if the bonnet is dropped to close it.

see pic - I welded mine on after painting - stresssssssss

Roger

P1040667a.jpg

Roger you don't need all that re enforcing plate malarkey just do what the PO has done to my bonnet, as you can see fitted after painting and you would hardly notice :ph34r:P1010776.JPG.6440ac4a1daece884b607010f7cbd224.JPGP1010777.JPG.3eb2fd48025bf39083c86b52efbfa5e1.JPGP1010776.JPG.6440ac4a1daece884b607010f7cbd224.JPG