Photo from 1958

Photo is from 1958, Kaupanger in western Norway, is it a TR3 in the right side of the picture?

2K9wCmU.jpg

Edited by TRseks

Great pic! Summer 1958... I was born a few weeks before that. I wouldn't say that things were better back then. But there was certainly more room for the TR-owner to drive around! 

About the car: I know one TR with that colour combination (Dutch reg. plates). At first, I was thinking that the car was just covered with road dirt. But the other cars look reasonably clean. Had it been road dirt, then the other cars would have looked the same.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

In Norway cars were rationed after the war, one had to apply to be able to get one. In the 1950’s only 3-4% of the applications was approved, it wasn’t until 1960 that the rationing ended.

So this TR was guaranteed a foreign tourist, probably British coming in on the ferry from Newcastle to Bergen, but could well be Dutch!

Magnus

Interesting what you can tell from little areas of the picture.

The car ferry has just pulled in and unloading the vehicles. Top right corner shows a couple of motorbikes coming off the (un)loading ramp and turning onto the quay.

The TR may well have been there a few minutes as it is not on the roadway as such.

A VW beetle waiting to load.

Something has happened to the colouring - Norway isn;t predominantly purple - is it a lack of yellow

Roger

6 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Interesting what you can tell from little areas of the picture.

The car ferry has just pulled in and unloading the vehicles. Top right corner shows a couple of motorbikes coming off the (un)loading ramp and turning onto the quay.

The TR may well have been there a few minutes as it is not on the roadway as such.

A VW beetle waiting to load.

Something has happened to the colouring - Norway isn;t predominantly purple - is it a lack of yellow

Roger

It may have been "Colourised"

Stuart,

Here is a couple of more photos, one from the same location but from 1960, and another from a place called Dragsvik also from 1960, no TR's but still many interesting cars. 

OzICoYO.jpg

RkuINsH.jpg

Magnus

I think the Tr2 or 3 is two tone dust road dirt.

Reasoning that the black car in top right of second picture has similar two tone effect! Also others appear to have the same dirt pattern. Probably many unmade roads at that time.

Edited by Rodbr

Love these photos, reminds me of a family holiday in 1970, touring Norway, what a fabulous country.

That's a nice photo of the 3a also Tom, on a Coventry plate.

Iain

Edited by iain
11 hours ago, TRseks said:

Here is a couple of more photos, one from the same location but from 1960, and another from a place called Dragsvik also from 1960, no TR's but still many interesting cars. 

OzICoYO.jpg

RkuINsH.jpg

Magnus

Saab :wub::wub:

Saab 93, front hinged doors.... nice. Checked the registration number to see if the car is still registered but of course no...

My parents had a 1968 Saab 96, first one with the Ford v4, nice car deeply missed.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

With the benefit of relatively young eyes (I’m barely 60!) and biggest latest i-pad, that is definitely dust on the first picture. - Think about it, if you had such a fast modern car at that time you would be throwing it around the odd corner and using every inch of the dusty empty tracks

On a final note, Scandinavia is still wonderful - Last week I was in Marienhamn, Åland Islands Finland but, nearer Sweden and everything is still basically as per the earlier photo, including the warp cars in daily use.

Hi Menno,

I was at a Saab gathering at the Ace Cafe North London last week-end. Only a dozen or so cars turned up but the owners are all enthusiastic.

They even accepted my 9.3 GM Saab.

My son worked for Saab back in 2001 for six months or so. He enjoyed the friendliness of the office life. But then it ended. GM sold off Saab.

He had to help clear out the offices. He ended up with a few bag fulls of pens etc and a few model plastic Saabs on plinths.

He also found a new Saab driving jacket - very snappy. Imagine Steve McQueen's leather jacket but in a semi-fleece dark blue  material - no collar. And the Saab badge on the left breast.

We gave it to one of the Saab drivers at the Cafe - he seemed chuffed.

Roger

Back in the 60s a French couple that lived in the same road as my parents and I in Hillingdon Heath had two pale blue Saab’s the same as the one in this picture. They were very keen car club members back then.

Hi,

some years ago my wife found a photo album at the flea market and gave it as a present to me.

It seems to be from a car mechanik of Mercedes Benz (Untertürkheim factory close to us) sent to Malaysia in 1955.

It contains photos from the 1955 Grand Prix of Macao, mainly shows a MB 190 SL he had to care for (?).

One photo seem to show a dark (red?) TR2 (?) #17 at the start of Grand Prix next to the 190 SL.

From another view there seems to be a white TR2 (?) behind a AH 100.

Next to photos of the MB 5.4 liter SSK of the Sultan of Johore is a very small photo of a TR2 small mouth, noticed "at the jungle".

The content to the Grand Prix of this is not shure, lots of photos seem to be mixed.

Ciao Marco

3 photos deleted because of limited data base at the forum

Edited by Z320