Wouldn't this 5 need to be on a Q plate if it ever came to the UK?

Just seen this 5 up for 70k in Australia.

Am I right in thinking if it ever came to the UK it would now need a Q plate due to the extensive rebuild and plus a yearly MOT?

The windscreen might be the only original item left on the car.

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1038427

Not necessarily I wouldnt have thought, No different to a complete rebuild on a very rotten UK car, Chassis is to original spec (CTM built) and all the TR4 works rally cars had alloy outer panels (Homologated).

Stuart.

I guess that's where I differ from you guys, if I was thinking about spending nigh on £70k for a TR5 I would want the majority of the car to be original, this one sounds like it doesn't have much original to what came down the production line other than the windscreen as noted by Mike. When the  seller says less than 3000 came down the production line he / she is obviously excluding this "TR5" replica when you read the description on what has been done to it. 

Just my threepence worth

Derek

In the end it probably fulfils the criteria for an original registration plate rather than a Q plate.

The wider question is it any more (or less) a TR5 than any number of those similarly restored even if not re-imported?

Indeed it might be a moot point for many restored cars are they so far removed from the original that they are no longer the car they claim to be? Is it any more a TR5 than a bitsa car that someone has put a 4A body on a new 5 chassis, attached the badges, put in a CP engine and ancillaries, 5 suspension, brakes and electricals.
If you knew that it would fetch less than either a 4A or 5.

3 hours ago, saffrontr said:

I guess that's where I differ from you guys, if I was thinking about spending nigh on £70k for a TR5 I would want the majority of the car to be original, this one sounds like it doesn't have much original to what came down the production line other than the windscreen as noted by Mike. When the  seller says less than 3000 came down the production line he / she is obviously excluding this "TR5" replica when you read the description on what has been done to it. 

Just my threepence worth

Derek

Dont forget the factory rally cars went through several chassis and complete shells as well as exterior or internal panels during there working life. Are they not real then?

Stuart.

05-6vc_alpine_rally_62_wrecked.jpg

As I said Stuart the seller is asking an absolute top end price for what is a highly modified car.  Best of luck to him / her with the sale it will be interesting to see if it sells. I agree with what you say about factory rally cars however this hasn't the benefit of that heritage and is just a recreation.

Derek