In the planning stages.....

Nancy: be aware of speed-traps on the motorway. A little south: the Bugatti museum Molsheim. Switzerland: just south of Luzern the little town of Hergiswill and the Pilatus Cable Car. Get a Swiss Rail Pass for that. Great trip for a day! Italian Coast: brilliant. Italians love our cars! Que Bella Macchina!

France: a trip to Bandol. That's how we think the Riviera should look: a Promenade, expensive yachts and still some simple shops with normal prices. Have dinner at one of the back streets' restaurants. Good food doesn't need to be expensive!

Hello Andrew

We did a similar trip in reverse here is the list.

Hello All

This is a round up of our trip.

We sailed from Portsmouth to Bilbao

Drove to San Sebastian 2 nights

Pamplona 2 nights

Oloron Sainte Marie France 1 night

Jaca 1 night

Vielha 1 night

Andorra 1 night

Seix 1 night (back in France)

Antichan De Fronigns 1 night

Sarrancolin 1 night

St Pastous 1 night

Angouleme 2 nights self catering

Sainte Verge 1 night

Classic Le Mans 4 nights camping!

St Nazaire 2 nights self catering

Huelgoat 2 nights self catering

2200 miles covered plus ferries!

We did  17 ( I think!) Mountain passes the highest just under 7000 feet

Erro 801 m

Mezkiritz 922 m

Ibaneta 1057 m

Puerto De Somport 1640

Fadas 1470 m

Port De Labonaigua 2072 m   

El Canto 1720 m

Port De lers 1517 m

Col De Agnes 1570 m

Col de Latrape 1110 m

Col de la core 1365 m

Col de port de Aspet 1069 m

Col de Mente 1349 m

Col du Portillon 1293 m

Col De Peyresourde 1563

Col De Aspi 1490 m

Col Du Tourmalet 2115 m

Spitty ran ok just a bit hot and a bit lean at tops used just over 1 lt of oil? & 36 to 37 mpg!

Roger and Margaret

ps   

I have worked out the total cost of the trip (approx!) £ 4200 which includes £550 for someone to come twice a day to feed our dog and 2 cats(all live outside and daughter lives 1/2 mile away and came down most days as well)

This includes the Classic Le Mans tickets as well!

We were away for 25 days so that,s £170 ish a day(£85 per person) for every thing in my book that is not a bad price to pay for a trip of this type!

I think people pay much more than that for 2 weeks in Benidorm !!

Roger

pps so if a nearly 73 year old can do it what are you waiting for ? I my book this life is not a rehearsal for the next one!

ppps the tool kit did not come out once(I tell a lie my mini tester came out for someone else at CLM)

pppps Half of that was probably Vino??

Roger

ps all in a lowly 1500 Spitfire!  The ferry to Bilbao and back from Santander is already booked for next year so we can go down into Portugal as last year it was cut short by a rear wheel bearing failure(parts flown out and fitted in an under ground carpark!)

We went to Italy the year before and back to CLM 3500 miles and Spain the year before(top to bottom!) to watch classicMotorcyle racing at Jerez!

Plus southern Ireland Italy year and Northern Ireland last year

The lean running on mountain passes is because I have ITB,s and EFI and the Baro correction was not quite right

So should be a piece of cake in a TR6!

image.png.b1501efc91c43a878713235da07e2553.png

image.png.6dba59a1360bda5abdef307968e230c7.png

Edited by rogerguzzi

There's a ferry from Santander to Plymouth as I found out last Summer. If you're rethinking the ferry: there's one from St. Malo as well. You'll have to drive north. But along the French Atlantic Coast that cannot be too bad!

Now, since you're planning your trip in June '19, you could also consider Plymouth - St. Malo to be in time for the D-Day Memorial and do your trip counter-clockwise!

Just an idea!

On 9/24/2018 at 9:47 PM, Andrew Smith said:

In the planning stages for 3 weeks in June 2019 in 'VUX':

42395774_10212824045571154_7010339164918

Hi Andrew, looks a great tour to do. If you need a Brittany Ferries discount code, just let me know as I am a Club Voyage member.

Looks like a great trip Andrew, however, were it to be a Club  Triumph event we would reckon on five days tops, driving through the nights, ferry timings permitting!

Tim

Roger,

That looked a great trip with plenty of miles under the wheels - but fret not, I'm not unaccustomed to long distance travelling in either my TR6 or my 3A; the last major trip in VUX was to CLM, the Dordogne and the South of France and in 3 weeks we covered 3,200 miles and VUX didn't miss a beat and nor did the tool kit come out. 

Menno,

Our route is Portsmouth - Santander, so an anti-clockwise route from 7 June for three weeks. 

Kev,

Thanks for the kind offer, but luckily I get discount through my work scheme.

Tim,

Luckily it's not a CT trip as we like to enjoy our driving, take in the surroundings, and spend some quality time in nice places - anyway, I wouldn't be able to afford the fuel on a CT trip.........:D

We've decide to spend more time in Spain, cut out Corsica (go back in Sept), stay with friends on the Cote d'Azur, spend longer in Italy and stop off at the Schlumpf Collection in Mulhouse on route to Calais.

Bev's been busy today booking the ferry, some of the hotels and putting together the itinerary, so far:  5 nights in Spain, 5 nights with friends in the SofF, 3 nights on the Italian Riviera and two nights on Lake Como:

42539908_10212829630270768_1466064443422

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew

We enjoyed San Sebastion and Pamplona.

You must include a few pyrenees passes.

We are sailing on the 4th June to Bilbao we always use the Econimie as it is about £100 cheaper and the meals and wine are cheaper but is the same stuff!

If you log onto and look at my report you can see all the places we went and photos of passes etc

http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/7917-spain-and-classic-le-mans-trip/

Roger

Funny : while some of you will enjoy touring the continent, I'll be in Highlands of Scotland (+ Isle of Sky) in one of my TRs :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, mike3739 said:

Looks cracking Andrew just back from three weeks just outside Nice.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, it should be an 'Epic' trip made even better that we'll be in VUX, we've finally gone firm on the route and Bev's booked the ferries and hotels - decide to miss out Corsica, but will be going in September.

Hope you and Carol had a good trip the Nice - did you fly or drive?

Cheers

Andrew

You are right George Andrew, how do you say in English about the grass who's greener ? 

The other reason is that I spent most of my holidays in my other home, in the French Alps, a small house built during the 16th century, 1800m above sea level.

So, if I wan't to see something different, it's Scotland or New Zealand, but Scotland is easier to reach with a Triumph ! :lol: