Distributor drive shaft end float

Hi All

Making some progress with my rebuild and I’m coming up against things I’ve not done before and the instructions in the brown book (BB) are a little thin (for me anyway!), so some helpful advice as to how to do some stuff.

So bear in mind this the first time I’ve tried reassembly of many of these items after they’ve been apart for a long time, so often I’ve simply not done it before or can’t remember how stuff came apart.

So the BB says to establish the distributor drive shaft end float (P 12.10.22). And it all makes sense, But.

I’m having problems getting the pedestal seated in position on the block, probably because of the various drive gears involved.

So how do I seat it so I can measure the float so I can calc the correct number of gaskets to use, I get how to do that bit.

Do I jiggle it, turn the engine by hand which makes the pedestal rise and fall, but never seat close enough and I’m talking ¼ inch to high not feeler gauge distance., or simply tighten the nuts securing it down?

I don’t want to force anything in case I bust something else.

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith,

It sounds like the distributor drive is misaligned with the drive for the oil pump and preventing the pedestal from falling into place, it also has to be correctly aligned with the MU drive.

IIRC, Remove the pedestal and fit the drive on it's own, then rotate the engine until it fully engages with the oil pump drive. now slip the pedestal over the drive, you may need to align it correctly by rotating the MU drive shaft.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Cheers, i'll give that way a go.

Keith

a wee tip, F,get the workshop instructions, totally  ridiculous way of doo,n it.

bung the thing t,gither,, and then look doon into it.                                              and then with some feeler gauges blades,

shuv them between the  gear top, an the bottom oft pedestle,

if they wont go in, then ther nee gap,

fit extra  gaskets t mek a gap

Ohh an some of thee,s things are no central ive found some fit both ways,some wont, cos the dog ,or slot is off set a wee bit

IF ye doo manage t,git it in  an its tight,  then move it round                             then wait till engine is run,n t,tighten the ped up,

as if ye tighten it up, then the actually dizzy will move aboot,

quite alot on some ive seen

lastly,check the roll pin between the 2 gears,

this wears an meks slak in,t gears

also, they snap,so if alot of play, replace pin

M