Surrey Top flying off at front

Followed Rogers instructions and now have the hood really tight. Also closed the gap at the front slightly as I think I may have opened it up too much.

Will go for a test drive tomorrow but won’t be able to relax after what happened.

Hope to see the Surrey Top Guru next week to get hopefully get his seal of approval of the fit.

Nigel

On 9/28/2018 at 1:23 PM, RogerH said:

Hi JJC,

from above you capping looks about right.

Next thing is to sort out the gap between capping and screen frame.  If needs to be wide enough to accept the pouch with the metal strips in.

If it is not then it needs opening up a touch.

You could try a wooden spatula and lever it up - this may distort the capping.

Remove capping and put spacers in to raise the cap.  This will make you scratch your head

Roger

disagree Roger  from above it looks like a non surrey capping

Hi Ron,

I can;t tell you which post to look at but one of JJC's pictures looks straight down on the cap and it looks pretty good (but a little dented)

He quotes 75mm front to back - mine is apprx 72mm.   I think it is the right cap but not fitted well.

Roger

Still can’t get it right.

Popped over to Roger’s earlier in the week and he kindly sorted me out with his brilliant adjusters and showed me just how tight his top is.

Today I followed all of his procedures and have got it really, really tight and I don’t think it will pop out.

The problem is it now bubbles upwards and I don’t want to just start bending things and creating more of a mess. It appears that the top is perhaps too small or more likely the frame is distorted.

Any ideas anyone?

Pictures below.

Thanks in desperation 

Nigel

183AD23E-BF52-4593-B9A9-508CF7A48319.jpeg

A2AA2DED-74F2-43A8-A2E4-08EA818870D1.jpeg

55D33F14-30B6-4B89-AB38-16B488F14B32.jpeg

9CDA197B-E0F2-4DE3-A88B-D84E069EA6D6.jpeg

Edited by Nigel A
Typo

The nuts at the backlight end (do you now have Roger's nuts?) need slackening to make the gutters on the Surrey follow the top of the window glass.  If that makes the hood too slack then there;'s a problem with the size of the hood maybe.

2 minutes ago, stillp said:

It still looks as if it's not properly under the lip of the screen capping towards the RH side.

Pete

agree with Pete.

Roger i was looking at the picture of your screen capping and the one he posted and his looks like a standard one .A lot narrower front section than yours but that could just be the photo.As you have now seen it in person i guess it is correct .

Nigel looks like to much tension on the frame.

ROY

Thanks for your comments, I’ll have another go at adjusting the capping tomorrow.

Whilst at Le Mans earlier in the year I compared my repro frame with an original and realised my rear legs were about an inch longer than the original. At the time I assumed this was so it worked with the repro hood. Couldn’t relax the way things were, so I’ve just returned from the garage after taking a chance and shortened  the rear legs and the fit is so much better.

They still need to be slightly shorter but I’m sure that after more fettling and using Roger’s amazing adjusters I will achieve a proper fit.

Still not sure if I’ll ever feel 100% confident, so have acquired today a mk3 Spitfire header rail. I will persevere with the original for now and leave this for a later date if I think I really need it.

Nigel

• 6 months later...

Just realised I had never finished this Topic.

Shortened the frame so that it was the same size asthe original, some careful bending, repositioned some of the poppers and added the missing ones and with Rogers Mods no problem at 80( I mean 70!) 

so now happy with this so probably won’t be using the header rail  I acquired unless I get bored and need another project.( little chance of that as my wife has a long list of modifications to the house!)

cheers

Nigel