Quicky question.

About to remove crankshaft pulley and extension. Am I right in thinking the correct size should be 1 1/8th" impact socket?

It has been butchered a bit so I need the size to dress it to. Also I don't have this size so I need to be right before buying a socket and where can you buy a single imp socket?

BR

Rod

Look on the web Rod, there used to be a guy selling old stock sockets in singles quite cheaply and decent enough quality. That's where I got mine from. I'll see if I can find details later today and if I do I'll post them here  

Rgds Ian

I should try and get an impact socket, if the dog bolt has been fitted to what I think is the correct torque it should have 120lb ft on it.  Any less and you risk the pulley becoming loose enough to fret against the crankshaft key and carry out a little more machining against the pulley keyway.

The impact socket can be used with an impact gun to help shock the bolt undone which is easier than all the other methods of "wedging/trapping/ropetrick/locking the flywheel etc etc, you can also use the same socket but manually with a torque wrench to refit the dog bolt when it's going back together.  

Mick Richards 

2 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

I should try and get an impact socket, if the dog bolt has been fitted to what I think is the correct torque it should have 120lb ft on it.  Any less and you risk the pulley becoming loose enough to fret against the crankshaft key and carry out a little more machining against the pulley keyway.

The impact socket can be used with an impact gun to help shock the bolt undone which is easier than all the other methods of "wedging/trapping/ropetrick/locking the flywheel etc etc, you can also use the same socket but manually with a torque wrench to refit the dog bolt when it's going back together.  

Mick Richards 

What size socket Mick ?i have one that won't undo managed to fit a 32 mm which turns it over but not able to torque with it.

Without going in the workshop to check I believe it's 1 1/8 as previously posted. If you've got a 32 mm that's about 1 1/4 so depending how manky your bolt is it may turn the engine over but won't be suitable to unwind the bolt if it's been torqued correctly.

A good "flat drive" (not multi point) impact socket that fits the dogbolt dimensions when it's measured across the centre of the bolt will do the job.

Mick Richards  

All good now well with the socket that is. The guy across the road is a tractor tech and a bit old school and has lent me his socket set and the 1 1/8th fits perfectly. Will get my impact gun out and set about it tomorrow. I'll look for an impact socket in due course.

When using an impact driver do I need to block the crank or in gear with hand brake on?

Hi John,

I thought I had the socket needed so never thought to ask.

I would rather use the correct imperial socket on a used nut in preference to a "close to" fit metric one. I'm not sure that metric are available with 6 point.

Edited by Rodbr

Rod,

Wear safety glasses, if you use an impact gun on a standard socket it's not unknown for them to explode. Better to use a breaker bar and lots of uuummpph with the car in 3 rd gear, hand brake on and maybe a brick in front of the rear wheels.

With an impact the shock will normally undo the bolt without too much ado just with handbrake on. If it's stuck you could drop the sump and block the crank, or use a flywheel bolted tooth ( but that means pulling the starter).

Mick Richards