TR6 BRAKE BOOSTER RECONDITIONING OR BUY NEW ONE??

Hi Guys,
It's seems that my brake booster don't has much impact in the braking force, i removed the master cylinder and the gasket between the rod and the brake servo body falled apart itself so i think that it's time for a brake servo overhaul.

I've rebuild myself the servo about eight year ago but for my opinion the quality of the gaskets in the rebuild kits it's not as good as the original parts.

Now the big dilemma; buy a new servo or recondition again my own unit??

I've read some bad things about new brake servos,  the clevis the was too short to align with the hole in the pedal blade, quality not very high etc. 

I can recondition again my servo, but what rebuilding kit will have good quality parts??

The third possibilty can be return/exchange my unit for a reconditioned one, do you have any contact that can do this in UK or Europe?? I'm from Italy...

Your valuable advices can help me to take a decision!

Thanks

Not wishing to upset any purists, but how about a 'modern' one?

I heard some while ago that there is a Volvo(?) unit that is pretty much a straight swap??

Anyone know any more/any others that may be suitable?

Can't imagine there are many 'patterns' of servo, much like other brake components etc??

I'm not purist at that level so i'm disposed to fit also the Volvo one if it's straight swap.

Do you've more info about, a code?? In which volvo models have been fitted?

If there're other straight swap servo available i'm disposed of course.....

Hi Gavin,

yes, it is a ready to fit servo, which includes 2 new brake pipes (since the MC will relocate a bit).

It can be bought in The Netherlands for around 280 euro's.  I have no connection or experience with this servo, will first see how my car brakes on the standard servo which I reconditioned.

I tried to find from which Volvo it came but had no luck.

Regards,

Waldi

I bought a new one from the US. I also installed new rotors/pads and new back cylinders/shoes. Brake performance was markedly improved, but I can't really say if the booster was a single factor in the improvement.

I stripped and cleaned my servo unit after if had filled with brake fluid from a faulty master cylinder. The hardest part was splitting the two halves as the tabs had been bent over too prevent them from separating.  Other than that it was very straight forward.

To increase it's effectiveness I have installed a 12v servo vacuum pump from a wrecked Audi which is activated by an adjustable vacuum switch designed for kick-down on auto transmissions.  This is set to maintain 12" of vacuum and apart from pump the noise at idle and low speed, it works very well.

It didn't take a lot of time or expense to set up and is a good alternative to the double diaphragm booster.

Gavin

8282018192828.jpg