1955 Review of TR2

Mike,

many thanks, my car is a '55 TR2 so your scan has been downloaded and saved.

If its of interest to anyone, I  am still searching for very late TR2 owners to contact me if their car was produced later than September 27th '55 which is my own car's production date.

There must be someone out there with a younger UK car than mine thats still running ?

Thanks

Bob

Hi Ian,

Great article. The journalistic style is amazing !

Hi Bob,

Have just taken final delivery of a restoration I commissioned back last November. An original RHD TR2 first registered in Bath on 13th October1955, manufactured on 4th 0ctober, supposedly one of the last fifty or so produced before the TR3.

Commission number TS8585, although by the time I laid my hands on it a previous 'restoration' had  been carried out in the late 1970s or early 80s endowing it with an early TR4 block and fibreglass wings !

The body has now been restored using original Stanpart wings imported back from California and we have kept the TR4 block and then blinged it up under the bonnet but tried to keep the exterior looking somewhere near original.

Even if I say it myself, if looks lovely and drives beautifully.

Best,

Chris

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not too shabby Chris... Have you ever driven her?

Where and why are the battery leads heading through the bulkhead?

Shame the roof frame is not stowed exactly parallel.. But, that’s about the only ‘imperfection’ i can spot. - Great looking car (what are the rear brakes?)

Hi Chris,

that look absolutely terrific.

Whats interesting is the short time from its manufactured date to the registration date - my car wasn't registered until mid December, way after the 3's were being sold.

You have some nice upgrades too, although I am surprised to see the wiper motor on the nearside, mine is offside which I thought was correct even for an early TR3, perhaps not though, any idea if thats its original position?

By its TS number, yours is  No52 from the end of production, the last is said to be TS8636. So I would say you have a very good chance of claiming a badge for the last TR2 running in UK !

Thanks very much for posting the photos, I have one other question for you, please see PM.

Cheers

Bob

On 9/24/2018 at 8:17 AM, cjstoodley said:

Hi Ian,

Great article. The journalistic style is amazing !

Hi Bob,

Have just taken final delivery of a restoration I commissioned back last November. An original RHD TR2 first registered in Bath on 13th October1955, manufactured on 4th 0ctober, supposedly one of the last fifty or so produced before the TR3.

Commission number TS8585, although by the time I laid my hands on it a previous 'restoration' had  been carried out in the late 1970s or early 80s endowing it with an early TR4 block and fibreglass wings !

The body has now been restored using original Stanpart wings imported back from California and we have kept the TR4 block and then blinged it up under the bonnet but tried to keep the exterior looking somewhere near original.

Even if I say it myself, if looks lovely and drives beautifully.

Best,

Chris

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Same colour scheme as my late 1954 TR2. My colour scheme is as it left the factory, restored 1980-83, and the interior was red like yours but has changed a bit in the Australian sun. Yours is a beautiful example.

IMG_2711.JPG

On 24 September 2018 at 7:21 PM, Tony_C said:

Not too shabby Chris... Have you ever driven her?

Where and why are the battery leads heading through the bulkhead?

Shame the roof frame is not stowed exactly parallel.. But, that’s about the only ‘imperfection’ i can spot. - Great looking car (what are the rear brakes?)

Thanks Tony. I have managed to get the best part of 200 miles on the clock this week. Great fun to drive !

The leads going through the bulkhead are for a 'kill switch' under the dash.

Sorry about the roof frame not being parallel - lazy photographer !!

The rear breaks are the original drums (10" ??)

Best,

Chris

30 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Same colour scheme as my late 1954 TR2. My colour scheme is as it left the factory, restored 1980-83, and the interior was red like yours but has changed a bit in the Australian sun. Yours is a beautiful example.

IMG_2711.JPG

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the compliment, but due to my almost complete lack of mechanical skills all the credit should go to my restorer - Carn Bosavern Garage in Cornwall.

Your car is very handsome and I like the mirror arrangement on the windscreen stanchion. Did you have that made up specifically ??

Best

Chris

2 hours ago, cjstoodley said:

Hi John,

Thanks very much for the compliment, but due to my almost complete lack of mechanical skills all the credit should go to my restorer - Carn Bosavern Garage in Cornwall.

Your car is very handsome and I like the mirror arrangement on the windscreen stanchion. Did you have that made up specifically ??

Best

Chris

Thanks for the compliment Chris. It is a 30 foot car. I bought it in 1976 and did a body off rebuild 1980-83. Been a daily driver ever since with a fresh coat of paint on the externals 10 years ago. And regular maintenance, new wheels, new top/tonneau, rear springs, suspension bushes, clutch, brakes, steering box etc. I do nearly everything.

She covers a lot of miles, when we get back from a 2 1/2 month holiday we are on I'll service her and hope she is up for a 1,000 mile trip to Adelaide from Sydney for our National meet.

The mirror is a design of one of our members. I am not sure if he will send them overseas to non Australian Register members but his details are on our website. 

http://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/forsale.htm

I am building another one, a long door, I hope it turns out as nice as yours. I will be doing all but the bodywork and some upholstery myself. 

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

23 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Thanks for the compliment Chris. It is a 30 foot car. I bought it in 1976 and did a body off rebuild 1980-83. Been a daily driver ever since with a fresh coat of paint on the externals 10 years ago. And regular maintenance, new wheels, new top/tonneau, rear springs, suspension bushes, clutch, brakes, steering box etc. I do nearly everything.

She covers a lot of miles, when we get back from a 2 1/2 month holiday we are on I'll service her and hope she is up for a 1,000 mile trip to Adelaide from Sydney for our National meet.

The mirror is a design of one of our members. I am not sure if he will send them overseas to non Australian Register members but his details are on our website. 

http://www.tr-register.com.au/Files/forsale.htm

I am building another one, a long door, I hope it turns out as nice as yours. I will be doing all but the bodywork and some upholstery myself. 

IMG_2824.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

John,

Your TR2 re-build looks fantastic. I love the colour !  Looks as if you are going down the originality route - no narrow belt conversion I note.

Thanks for the link to your mirror man - do you think he would ship to UK (at my expense obviously). I see there is a phone number to contact him, but is there any way I can get in touch by email or through the register do you know ??

Best,

Chris

18 hours ago, cjstoodley said:

John,

Your TR2 re-build looks fantastic. I love the colour !  Looks as if you are going down the originality route - no narrow belt conversion I note.

Thanks for the link to your mirror man - do you think he would ship to UK (at my expense obviously). I see there is a phone number to contact him, but is there any way I can get in touch by email or through the register do you know ??

Best,

Chris

Unfortunately I don't have any other contact details for Keith. He is a pretty relaxed fellow, try giving him a call in the evening Australia east coast time, say 9.00 am your time.

Yes, I do prefer originality, a bit of the "if I want to drive a modern car I'll buy one." The red one will be signal red, brown leather and fawn top as it left the factory. No modifications if I can help it. The high port head will be replaced with a low port one and the modern oil filter likewise for an original type.

The BRG one is almost totally original. It has a hi torque starter and 60 spoke wheels but original engine, brakes, steering, electrics etc.